Aquarium Silicone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquarium Silicone

I need to redo some of my bulkheads on my tank, so I need to purchase some silicone.

I was wondering is there a difference in the GE Silicone 1 vs the Pefecto Aquarium Silicone/All-Glass Silicone specificially made for aquariums. I'd rather be safe then sorry since the bulheads are on the bottom.

Thanks!
    Last edited by tbui1178; 09-14-2009, 10:08 AM.
    300g - Petrochromis Texas "Red Fin" Longola, Petrochromis Red Bulu, Tropheus Red Rainbow Kansanga.

silicone 2 is no good. it contains chemicals that can harm your fish.
    fishless

Comment

GE silicone 1 - window & door

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Opps, I meant silicone 1.

Is there a difference betweend the Silicone 1 found at home depot/lowes vs the Aquarium specific silicone mentioned above?
        300g - Petrochromis Texas "Red Fin" Longola, Petrochromis Red Bulu, Tropheus Red Rainbow Kansanga.

Comment

no difference. GE silicone at HD or Lowes is probably cheaper.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Use ge silicone 1 clear. Let it fully dry or it won't stay clear.

Comment

I use GE silicone 1 for all my fishy projects. The door & window one.
              It should smell like vinegar when you apply it.
              www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Originally posted by fshfrk View Post
                no difference. GE silicone at HD or Lowes is probably cheaper.
                correct, the ge1 is just as effective, and i resealed my 125 with it.

please note though. ge silicone 2 has a bio block chemical in it to prevent mildew that has proven lethal for fish. use ge silicone 1. ge2's bioblock technology has a pesticide and a fungicide that prevents mold, mildew and spored from growing by neutralizing the bacteria. this will neutralize the bacteria in your tank, but worse, over 48-72 hours will seep into the water and kill the fish. had a friend lose almost 100 bucks in cichlids to this.
                Last edited by cichlidchic; 09-15-2009, 08:56 AM.
                140 New World Cichlids
                125 African Lakes Victoria and Malawi
                80 Lake Tanganyika (Burundi Frontosas)
                30 Pundamilia Neyerie Ruti Island group
                29 Tropical Semi Aggressive/Community
                And to think....in January it was just the 29...)

Comment

I prefer Dow Corning 100% silicone for tank resealing. I found that on larger jobs the GE 1 cured a little fast for my liking, that by the time I'd worked around to the last intersection the surface of the starter bead had begun to harden already. For little tanks it wasn't an issue. IMO the DC cured clearer than the GE.

Mark
                  What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                  X