Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cms6175 View Post
    where r u located?
    If your asking me..I am about an hour drive northish of Austin.
    BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

good to see you, write if u hae any question
      Last edited by villa1973; 09-13-2009, 11:56 PM.

Comment

yes..bringing all fishes to the auction tommorrow. I will be there at 10am for check, I am going to hold your fishes for you until you get there....or as long as I can. My phone is 979-325-9222.
        Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
        Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
        Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by armthehomeless View Post
          yes..bringing all fishes to the auction tommorrow. I will be there at 10am for check, I am going to hold your fishes for you until you get there....or as long as I can. My phone is 979-325-9222.

I'll be there at 11:00.
          Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

Lil' miss. I am going to give the guppy breeding a try. I got a small tank today which I am going to get setup and cycled before buying my fish.

You seem to have loads of experience and I am sure I will have lots of questions.

Here are my questions for now.

Do you agree that no substrate is a good idea?
            Do you recommend plants? If so, how with no substrate?

Thanks.
            Jarrod - Houston, Texas
            150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
            17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
            5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
            3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodaden View Post
              Lil' miss. I am going to give the guppy breeding a try. I got a small tank today which I am going to get setup and cycled before buying my fish.

You seem to have loads of experience and I am sure I will have lots of questions.

Here are my questions for now.

Do you agree that no substrate is a good idea?
              Do you recommend plants? If so, how with no substrate?

Thanks.
              I have a substrate in about all my tanks, and it ranges from estes sand type, to a large gravel. I like the substrate, it helps to "conseal" the poop, and also gives the babies a place to hide, not so much with the sand, but with the gravel it does.
              Plants...yes! Not that you should need a bunch, but something is a a must, not only so the adult guppies have something to help them feel secure, but for the babies to hide in.
              Most all of my guppies, platies, and swordtails do not eat there babies. So, if you would like to start with something that is already accustomed to babies in the tank, instead of training new guppies to not eat babies, just let me know. I also have Peacock endlers, and tiger endlers.
              For a small tank(under 15gal) a clean up crew will also be needed. A bristlenose pleco, and a few shrimp will take care of any algae, and excess food that hits the bottom.
              Feeding, I have a nice mix I make for farely cheap that works not only for color an conditioning the adults, but is small enough for new fry to eat, and boosts their growth.
              If you are going to wait to cycle the tank for a bit, and would like any of the guppies I have, let me know, I can bring you some at the meeting, as well as any cherry shrimp, or plecos you might need/want. Same thing with the food. I can bring a 2-3 month supply for the guppies as well.

Comment

I don't know if I can make that meeting. Can you provide me the recipe for the guppy fry food?

Thank you for the help.
                Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

I don't know if I can make that meeting. Can you provide me the recipe for the guppy fry food?

Thank you for the help.
                  It is a mix of 10+ different foods I order in bulk, ground finely, an resealed. Will you be at the auction? I will be bring some to it....

Comment

Originally posted by lilmissruffcountry View Post
                    It is a mix of 10+ different foods I order in bulk, ground finely, an resealed. Will you be at the auction? I will be bring some to it....
                    Ugh... Sounds simple to make... Can't say I will be at the auction either, but that is ok. I think I can figure the food part out.

I set my tank up and started cycling. My ammonia is at 0.5 for starters so it will be easy to tell when my cycle get started.

I put some aqua clear foam filters in the filter tray of my established tank for a while and transfered them into the new tank. I am also trying API stress zyme in an attempt to jump start the bacteria.

Meanwhile, I am trying to get some bulbs started so that I will have some plants too.

Hopefully all of the above will work quickly. I am anxious to start.

I am thinking about trying the fancy guppies that my LFS had when I went window shopping.

Did I miss anything?
                    Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

best plants you can get is java moss... I am sure someone the the forum can help you out with some too

Comment

I read somewhere about putting nylons over the filter intake. Is that really necessary?
                        Jarrod - Houston, Texas

Comment

I read somewhere about putting nylons over the filter intake. Is that really necessary?
                          Not unless you have a really strong filter that tends to suck up small animals. :)

I think dblondfemme said it in another post today, but I've had the same experience - my shrimps love to hang out on the filter intake and grab the food that comes their way in the current. So lazy, lol!

I currently have an 18H with about 10 guppy fry, and 2 whisper filters - 1 Whisper 10 and 1 Whisper 20. They're strong enough swimmers to avoid getting sucked up. So unless you have some crazy flow in there, you'll be good. :)
                          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Mine get sucked up think it happens when there getting chased and run for cover they live and i just pour them out.I bought a mesh cage that hangs on the side and put them in it for there own safety from momma and filter.I just feed first bites to them.

Comment

Anybody have and nice guppies for sale at a reasonable price? Please send me an offlist message with photos of what you might have and how much. I am looking to estalish a breeding group for my ponds. They will be overwintered indoors and introduced to the pond in the spring. If you are interested I have tons (garbage bags full) of anacharis I can offer in trade.

Comment

Originally posted by kaleido View Post
                                Anybody have and nice guppies for sale at a reasonable price? Please send me an offlist message with photos of what you might have and how much. I am looking to estalish a breeding group for my ponds. They will be overwintered indoors and introduced to the pond in the spring. If you are interested I have tons (garbage bags full) of anacharis I can offer in trade.
                                Are you looking for a specific strain...or just some nice fancies? I got a bunch of fancies, and some culls from my pure stock, as well as platies, swords, and mollies.

Comment

Working...
                                X