• Time
  • Show
Clear All

bump for the troph and petro lovers
    25g - Reef
    3.5g - Surge Tank
    10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

I wonder how many people on here have actually looked at and read these articles?
      Last edited by myjohnson; 03-23-2010, 11:37 PM. Reason: sp
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

same here, there is alot of great info in these articles. have you read the news one i posted thai? i haven't even read them all yet but a few are really good petro articles
        25g - Reef
        3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

I been read them all when you posted them way back.

Naturally, I have slept since than and have forgotten most of it.

My retention level drops off fast if I don't constantly look over it.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Just adding to the data bank!

"CONTRASTING PATTERNS OF SPATIAL GENETIC STRUCTURE IN SYMPATRIC ROCK-DWELLING CICHLID FISHES"
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

man, that pic of the moshi, hes stocky!
              25g - Reef
              3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

Yeah he is!!!!

Almost look like he has a hump.

All three look stocky to me.

That simo is huge too!
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

to me the petros almost look stunted, short and fat. that simo is huge though.
                  25g - Reef
                  3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

So, to me this sentence from the study seems to summarizes their findings....

"The strikingly different patterns of population structure despite the sympatric distribution of Petrochromis and Simochromis species in this study area indicate that these species disperse in dramatically different ways within their shared habitat. One of the most prominent ecological differences between Petrochromis species and S. diagramma is the degree to which they are trophically specialized: although both genera are generally reliant on algal grazing in rocky habitat, S. diagramma’s ability to feed opportunistically may allow it to be more eurytopic than Petrochromis, which could facilitate longer-distance dispersal. This is supported by frequent observations of S. diagramma overmarginal and even sandy habitat, despite their prevalence within rocky habitat (C. Wagner, pers. obs.; Brichard 1989; Meyer et al. 1996)."

This leads me to wonder why petrochromis have not evolved to be more opportunistic eaters? This evolutionary step would greatly enhance their chance of survival. At first appearance, petrochromis look like they can go the distance between rocky isolated habitats without eating much b/c their body mass can handle the food shortage longer than the simo.

Additionally, I wish they did the study comparing tropheus vs petros rather then the simo. Tropheus are notorious for their inability to travel long distances between rocky habitats and I would have love to see if the gene diversification is reflective of the many color morphs that pop up in our tanks.
                    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by cichlid1409 View Post
                      15) http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2148/7/137 best one yet!!!! briefly goes into origins, such as fluctuations of water level causing species who were seperated to become mixed and interbreed. mainly it goes in depth about the genetic relationships of tropheus via mitochondrial and nuclear DNA. this link will show you which tropheus is related to which tropheus maternally (mitochondrial DNA) and a color coded map of the lake shows you how those species are spread out. this Link shows variants relation to different genetic markers of nuclear DNA (maternal and paternal). It seems that they have narrowed the family tree down to 4 main groups of origination: polli, brichardi, moori, and black (i.e. kaiser) .very good read if you can make it through the jargon.
                      what about this one you posted previously? is that what your looking for?
                      25g - Reef
                      3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                        This leads me to wonder why petrochromis have not evolved to be more opportunistic eaters? This evolutionary step would greatly enhance their chance of survival. At first appearance, petrochromis look like they can go the distance between rocky isolated habitats without eating much b/c their body mass can handle the food shortage longer than the simo.
                        i think their size is the main reason that petros haven't developed this type of behavior:
                        their size gives them a advantage in controlling territory to gain a mating, foraging advantage. also their size is a disadvantage for the type of behavior that simos maintain. alarger size requires more nutrients for upkeep and would confined to them to areas of higher algae growth.
                        also prolonged male territorial control and mating is very costly in terms of energy use and after maintaining this behavior for prolonged periods in the wild they lose weight and are forced to recover eventually travelling far distances wouldn't be logical at that point.
                        25g - Reef
                        3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

Good point, but the opposite would apply to tropheus. They are smaller and do not travel as well. Tropheus males also try to control territory to gain mating partners and maintaining a food source but they are smaller.
                          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

"Diet predicts intestine length in Lake Tanganyika’s
                            cichlid fishes"

Studies a number of fishes in lake tang, not only tropheus and petros.

Relatively new study coming out in 2009.
                            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

what about that petro article you posted in the other thread??
                              25g - Reef
                              3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

I already posted it here a while back.
                                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                                X