Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16)http://www.africa.kyoto-u.ac.jp/kiroku/asm_normal/abstracts/pdf/ASM%20%20Vol.4%201983/Kosaku%20YAMAOKA.pdf

"Feeding Behaviour and Dental Morphology of Algae Scraping Cichlids in Lake Tanganyika" by Yamako.

Just founds it....to drunk to understand what it's saying. I'll give a little report when I have the time to read over it.

But it does look like a good one!
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

17)http://jambo.africa.kyoto-u.ac.jp/ki...i%20MBOMBA.pdf

"Comparative Morphology of the feeding apparatus in Cichlidian Algal Feeders of Lake Tanganyika" by Mbomba.

Again, too drunk to read this. But I'm guessing it's a good read to go along with the one above.
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
        11)
        15) http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2148/7/137
        "Nuclear and mitochondrial data reveal different evolutionary processes in the Lake Tanganyika cichlid genus tropheus."
        best one yet!!!! briefly goes into origins, such as fluctuations of water level causing species who were seperated to become mixed and interbreed. mainly it goes in depth about the genetic relationships of tropheus via mitochondrial and nuclear DNA. this link will show you which tropheus is related to which tropheus maternally (mitochondrial DNA) and a color coded map of the lake shows you how those species are spread out. this Link shows variants relation to different genetic markers of nuclear DNA (maternal and paternal). It seems that they have narrowed the family tree down to 4 main groups of origination: polli, brichardi, moori, and black (i.e. kaiser) .very good read if you can make it through the jargon.
        Last edited by cichlid1409; 08-14-2009, 02:43 AM.
        25g - Reef
        3.5g - Surge Tank
        10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

That what I was trying to tell you the other day man. Those are good articles to read.

But remember they are a little dated so the new stuff might be reporting something else.

But if this is all we got to go on then it will have to do for now.

On the hybrid debate, 90% of hard core tropheus keepers are purest. They don't want to cross-breed. But man, in the wild that's what they been doing for all these years.

Again, I'm not taking sides or trying to start a debate just saying the article is a nice read.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

well ..... thats where it gets muddled. we have been discovering these species over the last 100 years or so and more aggressively in the last 50. so these are whats 'pure' to us now. but what when we find some new variant in another 10 years genetics will probably prove it to be a hybrid ..... which they all are anyways or most of them. what would we call that new variant? dogs are all related to a common ancestor and im sure trophs are to, only trophs evolved in the wild and dogs with human influence, people still like their pure breeds either way. its all perspective but it seems like pure breeds will always be worth more $ than mutts.

BTW...... dated? that article says published 2007.
            Last edited by cichlid1409; 08-14-2009, 02:55 AM.
            25g - Reef
            3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

Yeah, that's still dated. There are new ones published on this topic in 08 and 09 already.

it just cost $25 each for the article and I'm not paying.

Give me a second to find the link. Haven't been on there in a while.
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Here's a good one that likes to charge people up.

There are others in different languages too but that's no help to us.
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

this one sound interesting buy it for me for christmas..... :)

Ecophysiology of Aufwuchs-eating cichlids in Lake Tanganyika: niche separation by trophic specialization

"The relative intestinal length of domesticTropheus moorii, raised in aquaria was significantly lower than that of wild individuals by a factor of 1.7, demonstrating a wide range of phenotypic adaptability. "
                  Last edited by cichlid1409; 08-14-2009, 03:31 AM.
                  25g - Reef
                  3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

I think I have a copy of it somewhere. A dude on an Oz tropheus forum sent it to EK and EK sent it to me....and of course I lost it.

But this is want I remember, not only is the intestinal length shorter but the head shape and lower jaw muscle develops differently as well. However, even with that being reported I still can't look at a WC's head shape and jaw vs. a PR/TR one and say for sure it's WC.

Maybe geoff can tell the difference cause he been in the game forever. But I know I can't.
                    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                      17)http://jambo.africa.kyoto-u.ac.jp/ki...i%20MBOMBA.pdf

"Comparative Morphology of the feeding apparatus in Cichlidian Algal Feeders of Lake Tanganyika" by Mbomba.
                      this is too old (1983). nothing new here........
                      25g - Reef
                      3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

The new ones tend to cost money...money I don't have.

but at least we got a free article.
                        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Got some new journal articles from the library at school. thanks to traci for linking them up for me. i haven't even had a chance to read them all so let me know what you think about them. i will try to update this post with small review of each article as i read them all.

1. Assessment of traditional versus geometric morphometrics for discriminating populations of the Tropheus moorii species complex (Teleostei Cichlidae),a Lake Tanganyika model for allopatric speciation

http://houstonfishbox.com/vforums/As...c%20specia.pdf

2.Evolution of the tribe Tropheini from Lake Tanganyika: synchronized
                          explosive speciation producing multiple evolutionary parallelism

http://houstonfishbox.com/vforums/Ev...nchronized.pdf

3.Increased energy investment in testes following territory
                          acquisition in a maternal mouthbrooding cichlid

http://houstonfishbox.com/vforums/In...%20cichlid.pdf

This is a good read. Goes into behavior during mating and territory occupation of petro. fasciolatus. Study shows that complete development of testes is delayed until a male is large enough to acquire his own territory saving energy for somatic cell growth. Also discusses how a male maintaining a territory for extended periods of time can exhaust his body by expending much of its energy toward mating behaviors.

4.Monogamy in the maternally mouthbrooding Lake
                          Tanganyika cichlid fish Tropheus moorii

http://houstonfishbox.com/vforums/Mo...s%20moorii.pdf

this study proves that tropheus broods only have one father, unlike other species of mouthbrooders, where one clutch might contain several types of paternal DNA. Discusses mating and social habits of tropheus.

5. Coexistence of permanently territorially cichlids of the genus Petrochromis through the male-mating attack

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

A must read for petro lovers. goes into depth about sociological behaviors between territories of 3 petros : polyodon , trewevase, and famula. polyodon is show to be the biggest and also the most aggressive with the most attacks and also traveling the furthest out of its territory to attack others. several experiments are performed by removing some of the males holding territories and then released again to see how the territories change. surprisingly, territories of the males that were not removed only slightly changed.

6.Phylogeographic history of the genus Tropheus, a lineage of rock-dwelling
                          cichlid fishes endemic to Lake Tanganyika

http://houstonfishbox.com/vforums/Ph...Tanganyika.pdf

7. Species-Specific Population Structure in Rock-Specialized Sympatric Cichlid Species in Lake Tanganyika, East Africa

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

compares mitochondrial DNA and certain markers in gentic DNA between geographic variants of E. cyanostictus, T. moorii, and O. ventralis to determine how closely related they are considering they all inhabit the same littoral zones in lake tanganyika. A tough article to get through.

'Genetic diversity and population differentiation were high in T. moorii and E. cyanostictus, where as much
                          lower variation and structure were found in
                          O. ventralis. While dispersal is curtailed by a muddy bay in
                          all three species, gene flow along continuous habitat appeared to be controlled by distance in
                          E. cyanostictus,
                          further restricted by behavioral philopatry in
                          T. moorii, and unrestrained in O. ventralis."

8. Validation of the periodicity of increment formation in the otoliths of a cichlid fish from Lake Tanganyika,East Africa

http://houstonfishbox.com/vforums/Va...ation%20in.pdf

This shows a study on how to use the otoliths (an organ in the ear) in tropheus to determine the age and growth rate, during a specific time line, of a specimen. kind of like counting the rings on a tree. only thing is that the fish must be dead to perform this test. this one mentions the release of many variants into a single location, that was previously mentioned in one of thais links. interesting study and states that tropheus live to about 10 years of age, or that older tropheus have not been found.
                          Last edited by cichlid1409; 02-18-2010, 03:15 AM.
                          25g - Reef
                          3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

Pimp! Now I got some more to read.
                            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Hmmm...

From #2:

"Our phylogenetic analyses further confirmed
                              Gnathochromis pfefferi as a member of the Tropheini
                              (Kocher et al., 1995, Salzburger et al., 2002b) and
                              also suggested the placement of the haplochromine
                              cichlid Ctenochromis horei in this tribe (see also
                              Nishida, 1997). Another striking observation from
                              our phylogeny – corroborating previous results based
                              on allozyme data (Nishida, 1997) – is its frequent
                              conflict with the present taxonomic assignments sug-
                              gesting that several genera may be paraphyletic, so
                              that corresponding trophic specializations may have
                              evolved repeatedly within a single lake. This was ob-
                              served for the genus Tropheus in which T. duboisi
                              was consistently placed outside the lineage comprising
                              its congeneric allies, as well as for the genera Petro-
                              chromis and Simochromis (Fig. 5). All these genera
                              were defined primarily on the basis of their particu-
                              lar trophic morphology (Boulenger, 1898; Yamaoka,
                              1983; Poll, 1986). Such a high frequency of recurrent
                              evolution of convergent morphologies can best be ex-
                              plained as an inherent feature of the proposed mode
                              of speciation, since geographically isolated habitats of
                              the same type should create similar selective forces
                              on their species communities. Moreover, natural se-
                              lection acted on the same set of colonizing species,
                              so that the initial conditions were likely to be similar
                              in all founder populations."

Found that pretty interesting! Studied a lot about primate evolution, convergent evolution, etc. in college. Although it's taking some time getting back into "school-mode..."
                              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by cichlid1409 View Post
                                5. Coexistence of permanently territorially cichlids of the genus Petrochromis through the male-mating attack

A must read for petro lovers. goes into depth about sociological behaviors between territories of 3 petros : polyodon , trewevase, and famula. polyodon is show to be the biggest and also the most aggressive with the most attacks and also traveling the furthest out of its territory to attack others. several experiments are performed by removing some of the males holding territories and then released again to see how the territories change. surprisingly, territories of the males that were not removed only slightly changed.
                                just read this one. lots of good info, petro lovers check it out.
                                25g - Reef
                                3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

Working...
                                X