Fahaka puffer passing clam shells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fahaka puffer passing clam shells

Is it normal for a fahaka puffer to pass large pieces of clam shells? And if so, how can that be okay? I would think that they would be digested, but they are not.

I mean...ouch...seriously.
    Our Fishhouse
    Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Hmmm. Never noticed mine passing MTS shells.
    PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

I always thought that the shell fragments were ground up in the pharynageal(spelling) teeth.
      ‎Haiku's are easy
      But sometimes they don't make sense
      Refrigerator

Comment

My boy just crunches them in his beak, inhales the meat and spits out what he doesn't want. Apparently he's swallowing some shell.
        Our Fishhouse

Comment

Yikes...!

Does this happen often, or did you just notice it?
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
            Yikes...!

Does this happen often, or did you just notice it?
            Just noticed it this week. And you know me....I keep an eye on that stuff. Poo is the best indicator that something is wrong. I saw the 'package', and thought "Nooo...that can't be. Okay, maybe it's just a fluke." Then I actually saw him pass one later that day. Then last night I saw another 'package' and the shell was large and had sharp edges. That's when I called out to you guys for help.

Another thing to mention is that he's always been a very healthy eater. He'd eat until there was no more food in the freezer if I'd let him, but lately he's been manic about eating. He's catching the clams before they hit the sandbed, and he got my fingers the other night. I might have ended up with a pretty nasty injury if my fingers hadn't been folded inward. Instead, I got a puffer hickey. I have to wonder if it's because my routine is out of whack. Usually you could set your watch based on when I feed, but we've had the kids all month so sometimes I feed earlier and sometimes later. Do you think he might be affected by our routine being 'off'?
            Our Fishhouse

Comment

Elvis and Annabelle pass shells all the time. I would think it's a normal thing, considering that in the wild there's no one there to crack them open. )
              A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

I've been waiting for you to pipe in here!
                Our Fishhouse

Comment

that's so good to know...since i haven't seen that happen yet.....but it is a possibility to happen......thank you both for the information....

Comment

Working...
                  X