No announcement yet.

moonlight question, kinda technical.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason that blue is used on most moonlights is that 20 ft. down the the only light that penitrates is blue. The longer wave lengths of light get filtered out by the water. This is true day or night. I once picked up a gray starfish in about 60 ft of water and when I returned to the surface it was bright red. So in a tank without plants to be correct we should only use dim blue lights for deep water fish or for really dep water fish that normally live in near to total darkness dim red lights because they can't see the red spectrum. The lights are for us to see the fish. If you are really worried about the moonlight keeping the fish awake and causing the plants problems there plans on the web to make the moonlights follow the phase of the moon, so the moonlight is totally "natural".
    Richard Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by RMD55 View Post
      The reason that blue is used on most moonlights is that 20 ft. down the the only light that penitrates is blue. The longer wave lengths of light get filtered out by the water. This is true day or night. I once picked up a gray starfish in about 60 ft of water and when I returned to the surface it was bright red. So in a tank without plants to be correct we should only use dim blue lights for deep water fish or for really dep water fish that normally live in near to total darkness dim red lights because they can't see the red spectrum. The lights are for us to see the fish. If you are really worried about the moonlight keeping the fish awake and causing the plants problems there plans on the web to make the moonlights follow the phase of the moon, so the moonlight is totally "natural".
      Well, my main reason of adding a blue light was for my viewing pleasure, and I had two criteria in place, one, that it wasn't going to be ON all night long, and second, making sure the light would not irritate the fish.

I'm getting myself two timers for both the white and the blue lights, and then play wiith the settings, I was thinking turning on the day light at around 7 am, off at8 pm, and the blue light on at 7 pm and off at 11 pm, so they would overlap for one hour in the morning , and of course, monitor the fish behaviour
      I dream of a Flagtail prochilodus!

Comment

Working...
      X