$2500 Cross River Puffer (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $2500 Cross River Puffer (pics)

City Pets just got in some Congo puffers. This poor guy had gotten his tail chomped by a tankmate.

Karen

i think this one will just grow to a fakaka later on...

Comment

That's actually three different puffers. Two "cross rivers" and one Congo.
      Karen

Comment

Originally posted by madugo View Post
        i think this one will just grow to a fakaka later on...
        I have to agree. Annabelle had spots when I first got her. After a few months the dot's turned into lines. I would love to see those puffer's again in a few months. I think both are young fahaka's. I'll never tell!
        A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

personally i would never pay 2500 for a cross river no matter how rare it is...
          its just too similar to fahaka when it grows up...
          and as i remembered there was one offered in England like 2 years ago for like 350 pounds.
          2500...way over to me...
          and sometimes when they get the young ones...its kinda hard to tell if its a cross river or a fahaka...
          it would give me heart attack if i pay 2500 now and later find out its a fahaka...:icon_hang:
          well...thats just me...but there are rich peoples in this world...

Comment

There was one listed on aquabid last year as a cross river puffer, it went for $250-$300.
            It was a fahaka.

Comment

Ok guys, here's some good reading on the subject. If you ever come across one that's not $2500 and you feel the need to buy it....read this first:

And this:

Comment

I sent a pm to one of the puffer guru's. As soon as he post on the puffer forum I'll let you guys know. Anybody taking bets?

Comment

Originally posted by edmlfc View Post
                  I sent a pm to one of the puffer guru's. As soon as he post on the puffer forum I'll let you guys know. Anybody taking bets?
                  Not me! I know next to nothing about FW puffers
                  Karen

Comment

I sent the PM to Corvus at the puffer forum. Don't worry I'm not placing a bet either.

Comment

Copied from the puffer forum:
                      Re: Cross River Puffers

by Corvus on Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:28 am
                      They look like a T. lineatus in my opinion. I only see 5 red spots and a number of characters of the typical T. lineatus coloration even on the third picture. T.pustulatus should look like this:
                      http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/.../T_Pustulatus/ with many spots and no dark/bright lines as they can be seen on these specimens (e.g. in front of the pectoral fins).

For discussions on the ID of T. pustulatus also see: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=16616&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=pu stulatus

They appear to have many spots as juveniles and reddish lines as adults. It is - in my opinion - unclear if they are really a separate species instead of a regional variation and if so, by which characters they can be told apart from T. lineatus.
                      Last edited by edmlfc; 06-07-2009, 11:09 AM. Reason: links fixed

Comment

Working...
                      X