Downsizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downsizing

I've had my 125g discus tank set up high light, co2, fert. for about 6 yrs and I'm getting kinda tired of it. I'm changing it to an unplanted, sand bottom and driftwood discus tank, something more natural for the discus. They're not real wild about the co2 and plants anyway. So, if I can get the tank defoliated Friday night, I'll have a busload of plants for the auction Saturday. If not, I'll throw a for sale thread up soon.

Mark
    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Cool!
    Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

Interesting comment about the Discus not liking the Co2 and plants. I have been considering adding discus to my 75 gallon plant tank that has co2 on it.

What kindo fo plants do you have? Any micro or dwarf species?

Please share more of your thoughts on this subject. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
        Interesting comment about the Discus not liking the Co2 and plants. I have been considering adding discus to my 75 gallon plant tank that has co2 on it.

What kindo fo plants do you have? Any micro or dwarf species?

Please share more of your thoughts on this subject. Thanks
        I guess they may like the plants well enough. The plants give them cover and places to hide when they want. The plants also take up a lot of tank room and restrict their movement. The discus also don't really like the plants touching them, I think...just the impression I get from watching them.

The co2 is another matter. I've been using a timer to turn the co2 off at night from fears, possibly unfounded, of co2 concentration getting too high. After lights out, the plants take in oxygen and give off co2. I've discussed how I use the co2 in this tank with several planted tank and discus enthusiasts over the years and I've gotten all sides of the arguement...co2 and discus don't mix, co2 should be left on 24/7, co2 should be turned off at night to prevent co2 poisoning of the discus...on and on.

For six years the tank has thrived with the regimen I've used. The discus have gotten huge and fat. The plants are lush and very prolific. The discus have spawned several times with no viable fry, though I think that has more to do with the hardness of my water than the co2, ferts and plants. Several of my plants flower regularly.

Lately, over the past year, I've started keeping red spotted green discus and have traded/given the tank hybrids away, except for one red turq. Some days the discus show beautiful colors and are very active. Other times they darken and hang in one spot and seem to be gasping. The latter happens mostly in the evening when the co2 concentration hits max and the plants are doin' the bubble factory full blast.

On top of this, I'm finding I don't get the pleasure from tending the "garden" as much as I once did. Anyway, I'm gonna see how this works out. I'm gonna keep the co2 set up and may try a nature aquarium type set up in the future with one of the smaller tanks. It's been a long time since I tried one.

The plants:
        some very red Red Temple
        large crypt wendtii bronze
        lots of baby tears
        lots of anubias barteri
        sag. subulata
        blyxa japonica
        corkscrew val
        java fern
        java moss

I have to try to find some bags and get this stuff together friday. Sorry, no dwarf plants.

Mark
        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Mark,
          Hopefully everything goes the way you want to

and one thing i have learned not to give away all the plants LOL
          as you said is nice to keep a few in another tank

I'll try to get some blyxa and vals from you later when you post the in another thread

Later and best of wishes

Comment

Originally posted by manifresh006 View Post
            Mark,
            Hopefully everything goes the way you want to

and one thing i have learned not to give away all the plants LOL
            as you said is nice to keep a few in another tank

I'll try to get some blyxa and vals from you later when you post the in another thread

Later and best of wishes
            LOL not gettin' rid of all the plants. The other six tanks are planted too.

Mark

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I spent all night before the auction pulling and bagging plants and cleaning the discus tank...haven't pulled the substrate yet...soon. The discus absolutely love the tank now. I was afraid they would freak out and hide in the corner but nope. They checked out the whole tank, showed amazing color and ate right away.

Mark

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I got some of your plants! I got the sag. subulata, some cork-screw val, and some java moss. I planted them all last night and I'm VERY happy with how they look!
                Experiencing an aquatic renaissance!

Comment

Those were nice plants, Mark. Post pics of your discus tank once you get it the way you want it.
                  Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                  Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                  Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                  Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I picked up some of your anubias at the auction and put them in my Discus tank after I ripped out my Hygro.
                    Resident fish bum
                    330G FOWLR
                    34G Reef
                    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by jeebus View Post
                      I got some of your plants! I got the sag. subulata, some cork-screw val, and some java moss. I planted them all last night and I'm VERY happy with how they look!
                      Awesome! The sag blossomed regularly...very pretty little white flowers.

Originally posted by armthehomeless View Post
                      Those were nice plants, Mark. Post pics of your discus tank once you get it the way you want it.
                      Thanks Tim, it'll take a little while to get it how I want it...maybe I'll post a progress thread.

Originally posted by Darbex View Post
                      I picked up some of your anubias at the auction and put them in my Discus tank after I ripped out my Hygro.
                      Which kind did you get? I brought some barteri and frasieri.

Mark

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Yes sir one of each. Now I have Nana, barteri, frasieri, lancelota, and no name anubias in the tank with some swords I think it looks better now with out the clutter of the Hygro
                        Resident fish bum
                        330G FOWLR
                        34G Reef
                        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Kewl! Please post some pics when you have time.

Mark

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

I put the pics at the bottom of this thread
                            Resident fish bum
                            330G FOWLR
                            34G Reef
                            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I got quite a few plants as well...they look much better than my plastic plants!
                              215g Malawi Peacocks and Mbuna
                              180g Tropheus Ikola and Bemba and Clown Loaches
                              58g Bristlenose breeding and grow out

Comment

Working...
                              X