Clear All

Originally posted by finfan View Post
    lighting aside, very nice fish
    how many do you have?
    how long have you had them?
    how big is the tank?
    what else is with them?
    what is the setup like?

how many do you have? There are four in the tank as of now. I cut back prior to my move to Katy and only kept the most special of my discus and other species prior to the move. I'm looking to add a couple of more, but need to find some in the 5-6 inch range, minimum, that will blend nicely with what I already have.

how long have you had them? The snakeskins I've had for almost 4 years, I got them as a little bigger than silver dollar juvies. The wilds I added after my move last January, so I've had them a little over a year.

how big is the tank? It's a 105 tall Oceanic

what else is with them? Cardinal tetras, six Virginae corys and about four abn's. I tried putting some of my Angels in with them and it just didn't work for me. Angels are much more aggressive at feeding time and I didn't like the unnecessary competition for food so I removed them. I suppose the truth be told; I really prefer a Discus only tank with ornamental tank mates like the cardinals.

what is the setup like? There's nothing special in the set up. I run an Eheim 2217 and a Hot Magnum for filtration. I may change the HM out for an Eheim 2215 at some point. The lighting is the standard fluorescent lighting. I tried the CP's and not only didn't like the way they looked on the tank without a canopy, the tank is so deep at 28.5 inches and the water so warm at 86 degrees, I still had a hard time with plants. Added to the previously mentioned issues I had with the CP's, I also have three cats that were dangerously fascinated with the inhabitants, so off the cp's came. I have black ColorQuartz as substrate and although it looks nice, keeps my Discus looking dark. I have a large piece of wood that's floating vertically in the tank and has been slowing sinking for close to a year now and some smaller wood scatted about. For plants I only have crypts, narrow leaf java, a couple of springs of anubias and some bolibitas. I keep trying vals, but I think the temp is harder on them than the lack of light. I use tap water, nothing special added to the water other than Prime or Novaqua, whatever my hand lands on first in the cabinet.

Do you think Mark would notice a difference if I replaced his tank with mine one day when he wasn't looking .
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Working...
    X