"Chubby"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Chubby"

I was at Wally world today to buy a new firm pillow and as usual I couldn't go past the fish tanks without looking in. They had half a dozen little lime green polka dotted puffers about 1.5" long. One guy ruled the tank. Hovered in the center while all the others cowered in the corners. He looked so proud of himself and also looked like a Mexican lime with fins.
    Well, happy ending, he came home with me and he's getting his own 16g biocube and all the red ramshorn snails he can handle.

I know he'll get to be 6" so I'll let him have one of my 45g breeder tanks when he's bigger.

What plants will do well in a brackish tank that he will not eat?

Guess next time I'm in Galveston I'll have to hunt so small crustaceans.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Congrats!
    Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek View Post
      What plants will do well in a brackish tank that he will not eat?
      Guess next time I'm in Galveston I'll have to hunt so small crustaceans.
      Plastic or Java moss and Java moss. I've asked at Fish Ranch if marine plants they sell there would do well in brackish water. I was told that they would not. I've head of "eelgrass" that can live in brackish or saltwater. How about a mangrove?
      PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

I'm feeling a tinge of jealousy, my bad, I really am happy for you....it was meant to be.

How bout some pics sometiime soon....?

CF
        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Congrats on the puffer!!

I can't wait to see some pics!
          Our Fishhouse
          Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

congrats on finding your new addiction over there JR....can't wait to see pics......

Comment

Congrats! Another puffer saved from the death grips of Wally World! I can't wait to see the little guy.
              A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

I didn't know that they had puffers at walmart. Is that a coastal thing?

Comment

Originally posted by fishboyt View Post
                  I didn't know that they had puffers at walmart. Is that a coastal thing?
                  I've seen them at the WallyWorld on Fry at W Little York on occasion, but they did not look very healthy.
                  Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Originally posted by szidlon View Post
                    I've seen them at the WallyWorld on Fry at W Little York on occasion, but they did not look very healthy.

That's sad.

Comment

they have them at the super wally world on 529 just down from hwy6....a tank crammed full of them.......

Comment

Wallyworld started a fish of the month program, each month brings an unusual species to the tanks. The ususal characters, guppies, mollies, mixed african cichlids, etc., sell quickly, the unusual, not so, or go to inexperienced owners who are eagar to have a new, different fish. I do my best to educate buyers, done my share of discouraging some too. I spoke to the dept. manager, but everything goes through corporate, she has no choice in the fish that are sent. I told her about the puffers, their requirements and diet, she was surprised to learn about them. She is trying to feed them f-d krill soaked in tank water, only thing we have close to their diet. Problem is, they are so cute, people buy them and create an empty tank that is soon filled with more. Poor things.

Comment

by the way, didn't mean to put a "downer" reply in your thread. I bought 2 of the puffers myself, created an enviroment for them after reading up on them. I hope yours thrives like mine seem to be!! I love the little faces that come to the glass begging!

Comment

I'm happy she is trying to take care of them.

Comment

Wolfbane, I am so darn proud of you! If we ever meet I will give you a big ole bear hug! There's not many people that will stand up and fight for a cute little puffer. You make my heart go boom boom boom.)

Great job on putting the effort in.
                              A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

Working...
                              X