Getting discus to eat pellets/flakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting discus to eat pellets/flakes

My new babies love beefheart and bloodworms, which is fine in the morning and evening, but it's my understanding that juvie discus need to be fed 4-6 times a day and my guys won't eat pellets or flakes at this point and I'm looking for some suggestions. On Mon and Wed I'm at work and school from 6am to 8:30pm and I'd like to set up an auto feeder for when I'm not home.
    Karen

Starve them for a day and go from there...
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
      Starve them for a day and go from there...
      +1 thats what i heard/read too

mine eat the tetra bites (i think thats what they are called)
      65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
      55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
      30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

Ooohhhhh you hurt my heart! You know how hard that is for me to do? . Ok I'll try it.
        Karen

Comment

I let my fish starve a day or two every so now and then.... keeps them on their toesfins.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

LOL
            Karen

Comment

Mine will readily eat the Tetra Granules, used to be called TetraBits. Mine have never accepted flake of any kind. If the Tetra Granules seem to a little too large for them, you can break them up some. They are pretty small so it should not be a problem.
              Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Oh they "can" eat them. In fact they like to suck them up and then spit them right back out......brats! Someone suggested soaking in garlic but I don't know about that. Wouldn't hurt but I don't know about helping.
                Karen

Comment

I was gonna suggest that too but then you couldn't use that in an auto feeder and sometimes it could be just the garlic they are after and once it's gone so is the feeding.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Or, you can buy specialized discus granules, NLS makes or did make a special discus formula that is a very small granule that would work in an autofeeder. In reality, feeding three times a day would be probably be sufficient. In the morning before you leave, a small feeding right when you get home and then another small feeding later in the evening. Just be sure they have finished eating before lights out so the night time crew does not get the late night treat.
                    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Yes.. you can wean them to flake or granules. Here's how i do it.... (See link...shameless plug)

Skip to the section about weaning FW fish using a worm cone.
                      Try the worm cone and feed the discus their fav food from it until they are conditioned to associate the cone with food. Then slowly add flake / granules to their regular food in the cone. They will peck at the cone and most likely get a mouthful of flake / granules each time. Slowly decrease the proportion of frozen food until they are eating 100% dry food.

There's an altum in the vid, but i used the same method to train heckels to eat flake.

Last edited by nacra99; 02-17-2009, 11:42 AM.
                      www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Agree with EK. Don't feed for a whole day, then feed nothing but the tetra color bits (or NLS, whichever you decide on) for consecutive feedings until they start eating them, then ease the bloodworms, etc. back into the feeding schedule. I fast my adult discus once a week, to help prevent constipation issues. I don't fast juvies as a rule because with them, every day they don't eat is a day of lost growth, IMO. The one day of fast to get them to eat the color bits seems acceptable.

Mark
                        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by wesleydnunder View Post
                          Agree with EK. Don't feed for a whole day, then feed nothing but the tetra color bits (or NLS, whichever you decide on) for consecutive feedings until they start eating them, then ease the bloodworms, etc. back into the feeding schedule. I fast my adult discus once a week, to help prevent constipation issues. I don't fast juvies as a rule because with them, every day they don't eat is a day of lost growth, IMO. The one day of fast to get them to eat the color bits seems acceptable.

Mark
                          You hit the nail on the head. I really want them to grow big and I was concerned that fasting them would slow down the growth, but one day shouldn't be too bad.
                          Karen

Comment

Nacra posted right before I did. While I've never tried that method, it sounds like it may be worth a try...no fasting.

Mark
                            What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                            X