Nori

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nori

Does anyone know if discus will eat Nori? I notice mine pick on the wood. It appears they are picking at the algae so I wondered if it would be worth trying some nori.
    Karen

Wouldn't hurt to try... I feed Nori to my fish but they aren't discus.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

My Discus pick at the wood all the time too, I think mine are just bored. I've never really heard of feeding Nori. I'm assuming it's an algae of some sort? That being said, Discus will pick at algae etc, but are mainly meat eaters, at least mine are .
      Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Nori is seaweed :)
        Karen

Comment

Speaking of Discus food, I'm going to start on another batch of beefheart today. It's cloudy and yucky and I have nothing better to do than try to cut my fingers off . Now that I think about I do remember hearing something about Nori or seaweed, but have never been inspired to try it. What are the benefits, I may want to hunt some down.

Comment

It's protein and roughage... benefits would be a different nutrient source other the meat.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Where do you get your beefheart? You can get Nori at Whole Foods or prob an Asian market.
              Karen

Comment

The nicer Krogers/HEB in the rich neighborhoods have it too in their "International" section, some even have a sushi bar located inside.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa View Post
                  It's protein and roughage... benefits would be a different nutrient source other the meat.
                  I always put some sort of veggie in my beefheart along with a smidgen of seafood. But I may give Nori a try, is it available at LFS's? I don't have a Whole Foods close buy and if there's an Asian market in Katy, I haven't seen it yet.

Originally posted by thekarens View Post
                  Where do you get your beefheart? You can get Nori at Whole Foods or prob an Asian market.
                  I buy my beefheart at HEB, but Fiesta also carries it. When I mix up a batch I put some aside and add some GelTek to it as a medicated food if needed. If I seem them acting oddly, I'll start the medicated food, just as a safeguard.

Comment

LFS will have it sold as fish seaweed and at a much higher price tag.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

You can also get it at Petsmart but you pay more. You can get either red or green variety
                      Karen

Comment

I think the red seaweed is actually dried Gracilaria
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Interesting! Didn't know that. We used to feed our salt fish both varieties.
                          Karen

Comment

I'll look next time I'm there to pick up dog and cat food.

Comment

Originally posted by thekarens View Post
                              Interesting! Didn't know that. We used to feed our salt fish both varieties.
                              I could be mistaken though but pretty sure.
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X