Adding fish to a discus tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by szidlon View Post
    Hey, stop it with all the big words ! So you're saying the male rams are firm believers in free love .
    They were never able to get past the summer of '67, szid.

Mark
    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

i keep them in pairs....but just because i want to.....i figured they needed a like head to butt since that's what they like to do to each other......lol.....

Comment

Originally posted by wesleydnunder View Post
        They were never able to get past the summer of '67, szid.

Mark
        Ah yes, the summer of '67, I was 16 going on 40 and life was grand . Seriously though, I, like FL, kept pairs so I guess my male rams felt deprived .
        Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Most folks do keep them in pairs. This can cause undue pressure on the lone female to spawn. Keeping a few females with a male diverts the male's attention to other possibilities.

Mark
          What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

You can pretty much put a lot of smaller fish in with discus just make sure they are fast because Discus will try to get them but they are slow so most tetras are faster and can out run them by far. I would put the tetras in first like the others said for two reasons one to get the Discus comfortable they will use the smaller fish to warn them about "danger" and second if your discus are comfortable any smaller fish will be food if you put them in because the discus will think you are trying to feed them.
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
            28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

There is no documented evidence of discus eating small fish.

Mark

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Shoot, for the most part, mine won't even chase live brine shrimp, much less fast little fishes.
                Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

I ditto fact that there is no evidence that Discus eat smaller fish.

Comment

Also you can try with a little school of corydoras, works perfect in my Discus tank

Comment

Working...
                    X