karen's discus journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• karen's discus journal

I am at the beginning of my discus adventure. First we had to paint and re-arrange the bedroom. Painting had to come first because once a tank is up it's not getting moved and we've wanted to paint forever.

Here is the wall where the tank will go. It's 68 inches across so I can't have a tank that's more than 5 feet. Please forgive the junk on both sides of the wall as we had not put all the furniture etc back into the room. That's the hall way to the bedroom on the right and the vanity area of the bathroom (which was also being painted) on the left.

I call this color "compromise." I wanted darker, Karen wanted lighter. It's pretty much tan to me, but what do I know, I'm part color blind!

So far I've gotten heaters, that's it. Still need the filter, tank, etc etc. I'll be posting as things happen.
    Karen

...watching the paint dry...

How is it coming so far?
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

so thats as far as you got .... painting the wall ..... WE NEED ACTION!!!!!
      25g - Reef
      3.5g - Surge Tank
      10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Lol, I agree! Just waiting for the tax return check and making up our mind exactly what tank we want. Hopefully it won't be long now.
        Karen

Comment

Finally!

If I could edit the title it would read "Karen's 90g discus journal" (Thanks to fishlady)

The pictures really don't do it justice. This is fishlady's old 90g, the manzanita is from Dan's, rocks from the landscaper place down the road and plants Hobby Lobby. The aquascaping idea came from Dan's discus tank. The manzanita is supposed to look like tree roots.

Now I need ideas of how many fish. Obviously I want discus, but they will be last. Along with the discus we want cardinals, panda cories, rams and a couple bristlenose.

I will be running an Eheim 2217 along with 2 sponge filters
          Last edited by thekarens; 02-01-2009, 08:32 PM.
          Karen

Comment

.......excellent job......man.....i knew i loved that tank......you really did an excellent job on the aquascape....i can't wait to see your fishies in there......cuddos to your work .....

Comment

I like the manzanita wood... keep up updated. :)
              Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
              Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
              Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
              Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

WOW!!!
                Pieces of wood + A good idea = "Karen's 90g discus Tank"
                Very beautiful Tank.

Comment

Very nice start, Karen. Nice job!

Mark
                  What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

very very nice, really like the use of roots, the low rocks along with white subsrate and dark background looks amazing, its almost perfect, i'm no expert, but one thing that i think might make it even better is a little balancing on the right side, the right side seems empty all of a sudden, i think even moving one of the roots to the very right will probably balance the scape, just my 2 cents
                    65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
                    55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
                    30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

i would do 5 discus 4 rams 10 cardinals and 4 corys

Comment

is it possible to do discus and some altums? on second thought that might be too much for 90 gallon?

live and let live

Comment

Originally posted by finfan View Post
                          very very nice, really like the use of roots, the low rocks along with white subsrate and dark background looks amazing, its almost perfect, i'm no expert, but one thing that i think might make it even better is a little balancing on the right side, the right side seems empty all of a sudden, i think even moving one of the roots to the very right will probably balance the scape, just my 2 cents
                          You'll have to talk to my wife about that one. She is the one that scaped it and she's the artist. She informs me it's "compositionally correct" and since I liked the way it looked/looks that was fine with me :) Something about the view is supposed to be like from the bank of a river moving further out into the middle of the river.
                          Karen

Comment

i hope you guys didn't think i thought it does not look good, in fact it is gorgeous, the most important thing is for you guys to be happy and enjoy it, so if you guys are happy then it is as perfect as it can get, can't wait to see the fish, in risk of sounding cliche' "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" :)
                            Last edited by finfan; 02-02-2009, 10:50 AM.

live and let live

Comment

I didn't think that. :). All is good.
                              Karen

Comment

Working...
                              X