? About Silver Arowana's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? About Silver Arowana's

hi, i am getting a Silver Arowana in the next couple days.
    i will be putting it in my (72x18x22) 125g tank.
    its only other tankmate will be my 3.25" male Parachromis Dovii.
    will this tank be big enough longterm?
    i have read several articles on the size they reach in home aquaria verses the size the naturally attain in the wild.
    i have read in many different articles, that in a tank such as mine, ~125g, they wil max out ~27-30", but they need all but the largest aquarium (like delocks )  to attain their full potential size of 48-50".
    just wanted some opinions or personal experience of people who have owned these wonderful giants.
    let me know what ya'll think.
    FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Re: ? About Silver Arowana's

make sure you have something to keep the lid/top close, these guys are super strong and can jump through hoops!

Comment

oh i no,   thats how i lost my first 1 the top of the tank is completly and i mean completly sealed, i also have stainless steal blocks about 5lbs each on each set of glass tops, so they aint getting out this time even if they wanted to.
      FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

yeah more people seem to lose their arowanas this way then due to sickness  8O I am waiting for the US to get on board with the rest of the nations and legalize Asian arowanas before I get one!  But I have family members that keep/kept arowanas.  Monster fishes for sure!

Comment

my aunt up in livingston has a god sized 18+" half red asian arowana, awesome fish, i need to see if she still has it, she has a leopoldi stingray too, but she has a special license, i forget what it is called, but she said it makes it legal to own species that are otherwise illegal, maybe not a license, but a permit, she applied for it a few years back and was granted it. she also has a 55g with 4 red bellied pirahanas, very cool, i will have to try and get picks if i can next time i go up there, last time i was up there was summer of 2006 :(  but she visits us every 6 months, we just dont keep in touch muh, she is kinda odd
          the half red and leopoldi  are with 6x 9" red hook silver dollars, and a BIG i think its called a prochelilus(sp?) it looks like a tinfoil barb, but has a yellow and blackstriped tail, and some red, very intersting fish.
          they are in a beautiful acrylic (120x24x24) 300g in wall tank. i stil dont no how she got that arowana, i have never seen any for sale? maybe she ordered it? anywho, very cool fish. i may have to aply for a permit so i can keep 1 and a dwarf caymen 8)
          FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

I want one for my pond. that is if they didn't jump out. keep the birds on their  toes

Comment

I had a silver for around  7 years. He kept wanted to jump out even after we put 4 phone books on top. Still was able to get out. THey are magestic fishes. I love them. In a few years, I will be looking for an asian.

As far as the 125 is concerned. You should have no problems with it. I had min in there til it died of illness.

Comment

there are plenty for sale, just no one is going to ship to the United States!  You will get fine and the fish will be confiscated if found in the US.  Which is the biggest pile of horse poo if you ask me.  Canadians are allowed to have them!  plus they are expensive!

Comment

i dont know, i had a friend who used t live a couple houses fdown from me who had a few red tailed cats and
                  florida gar in his backyard pond , it was like 2'x4'x2', really cool, but he had those in there, and it did inded keep out the birds, bt a coon came and snatched the gar, it was only like 18", but it didnt eat it, just killed it :? coons are sometimes worse than birds  he put chicken wire over it and that worked well he staked the chicken wire arounfd the pond with bent 10" nails, prettty neet, cause he could still put the feeders in without having to take it off.
                  we used to go to petsmart and buy like 3 dozen of the large feeders, and just toss them in 1 by 1, ubtil the gar was full, and then the redtails would snatch the rest
                  the red tailed cats were HUGE, like 3ft 8O but the would come to the surface and you could almost touch them, they were very friendly fishies
                  FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

she payed alot, here it looks exactly like this 1

awesome fish  8)
                    FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

...City Pets has gold arowana...
                      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Thoes are jardini.

As for Silvers... I have seen them get way too big in small tanks so it will work.
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

so he'll be ok with the dovii in the 125g?
                          FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

Should as long as the Dovi isn't too big or aggressive for it when it's added.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

silver arowana will be around 14" tl when purchased, dovii is small, only ~3"tl.
                              FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X