new tank for the cak contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new tank for the cak contest

I would like to try my hand at a planted tank, but before I go and spend money to convert one of my current  established tanks, I would like to learn first.
    I  also would like to tie this tank in with the up and coming cak tank decorating contest.  My budget is going to be around $150.00, including the tank/stand/filter and what not.......so I'm for the cheap. I'm thinking of using a tank in the 20 gallon range, what kind of gravel / dirt is good to start with? what kind of filter setup, and co2 setup? Would I be able to use a single bulb hood light with a different bulb for plants?
    75g - Tiger Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Sword tails
    30Hex - Angle's, Rasbora

Re: new tank for the cak contest

your not going to get all that for 150.00 especially a co2 system i suggest you make your own if you want one without spending the big $$$ heres a link to video on how to make one:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

cheap substrate - i cannot remember the name of it but home depot/lowes sell a substrate for underwater plants relatively cheap and i used it for a little longer than a year with good results before i got tired of the maintanence of my planted tank and discus.

filter - hang on back (HOB) filter with a bio-wheel would prob be cheapest and for a 20g IMO you dont need any thing else

lighting- you should have 3-4 watts per gallon so if you can get 60-80 watts of light doesn't mater how many bulbs you use 60 watts IMO should be enough.
    25g - Reef
    3.5g - Surge Tank
    10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

If you're gonna diy the co2 try not using a HOB, a very poor choice in planted tank.

The surface agitation coupled with the bio-wheel will be counter productive.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i do agree too much oxygenation but whats the alternative remember think cheap. you could always fill the tank all the way up and avoid too much surface agitation . I used a home made co2 with a HOB biowheel and have great results with it so much i was pruning once a week and tons of big beautiful cabomba (sp?). if you need make 2 co2 pumps doesnt matter too much the stuffs super cheap.
        25g - Reef
        3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

Cheap alternative? A powerhead with a sponge (<$15 retail).
          Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
          Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
          Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I agree with armthehomeless.... usually cheaper then what he said though.

As for pruning cabomba....  that stuff grows well in ditches too soo....
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Coming soon:

Official CAK Ditch decorating contest.
              Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
              Co-President of CAK

Comment

EK always a downer.  :?
                25g - Reef
                3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

I collected the stuff out of ditches and the bayou as a kid.... the truth hurts sometimes.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

from what i've always read its hard to keep in aquarium but i never had any problems
                    pics from when i had it runnin.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

just remember fishblock these are all opions from personel experiences. you have to make the final decision
                    25g - Reef
                    3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

I'm down with cheap .....I like the idea of a DIY co2 system.  I'm planing on buying what I can used (tank / stand)
                      on the hob filters, how about one that doesnt use a bio wheel. like the tetra or aquaclear?
                      I'll have to check on the aqua dirt that Lowe's/depot sells. is there any other product I should consider?
                      75g - Tiger Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Sword tails
                      30Hex - Angle's, Rasbora

Comment

just want to verify its not 'dirt' its a small gravel like substance and last time i bought it only sold in 10lb bags if i remember correctly. only reason i say biowheel is b/c its better for bacterial colonies than a reg HOB.
                        25g - Reef
                        3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

the $10 stuff at home depot/ lowes is schultz Aquatic Plant Soil.

Comment

good call! :emtthumbs:
                            25g - Reef
                            3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

fish ranch 2 on larkwood has mini filters that are submersible and would be perfect for a plant tank
                              altums 90 gallon
                              fahaka puffer 68
                              community 60 cube

can't find it make it
                              can find it make it better

Comment

Working...
                              X