• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Puffer dentistry

its white but i see a little white from around his waste disposal area  

Comment

I have performed surgery on an Asian Arowana long ago and it was fairly simple, just suck it up and think how much better it will be afterwards. Have also fixed a dis-located jaw on a few Comps.

LMK how it goes, I will pick up th remaining amount of the finquel.  
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

JGUERRA.   did you feed your puffer the trumpet snails?  if so he might have cracked his tooth and its infected.  i had a puffer awhile back that i feed them too cause i ddint know any better.  he bite into one and went nuts,  didnt eat for like 2 weeks,  belly turned black and he was sick.  finally he tried to eat some blood worms and soon as he took a bite he went nuts.   at that point i still wasnt sure what happed, anyway,  his mouth started gettin a fungus lookin stuff outta it and he died.  noone knew what wsas wrong with him.  well about 3 weeks or so later i was talkin to someone about snails and feedin my puffers and htey told me the trumpets i think are the ones,  box people can help but theyre shells are too hard to crack.  so i put 2 and 2 together and the puffer must have broke his tooth,  thats whyy the fungus and mouth rott started and he was in really bad pain after tryin to eat something soft.  maybe thats whay happened to  yours.  

GEEKS.   i put drift wood and some holey rock in my tank with my puffers.  and if you watch them,  they will chew on the wood and the rocks to keep there teeth trimmed.  they konw they need it.  I could show you grooves and bite marks on both rock and woood.  its funny but they keep them trimmed.  i stoped feeeding snails cause i cant get the right kind easily and the one GSP i have had for probbably 2 yrs i think now and No problems at all with his teeth.  

Just my 2.1 cents......................

Comment

j i just saw about the butthole problem.  maybe hes constipated.  i had that problem once too.  he was constipated got kinda swollen belly, didnt eat, and pooperhole was a litte funny lookin,  i dosed the water with some epson salt and something else.  sorry i forgot what,  but it wsas awhile back,   i did some searchin for constipation in fish and what ever it said to treat with is what i treated with.  good luck

Comment

THANK YOU!!!  We are going to go tomorrow to get some driftwood for the puffer tanks.  

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!
            Our Fishhouse
            Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

that's great news......
              i didn't know they would chew on that?.....now i don't have to worry about Tracy fainting when she see's beeker belly up for that god awful procedure.....yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......
              now about that driftwood....how big is the tank beeker's in tracy?.....i have 2 rather large pieces of wood in my 135 i'll be relocating when i put my chimba's in there in a couple of weeks....if you would like to consider getting one of the pieces from me let me know.....it's all about the puffers that's for sure......
              i'm so happy .....mrairportjunke....you are De Bomb.....dude....

Comment

do yall have sand or gravel in the tank?  i have seen mine also pic up the gravel in the tank and chew it around and spit it out.  its kinda funny

Comment

i have sand in my puff tank....not sure about the geeks.....

Comment

well get some softer kinds of rock like holey rock and or get driftwood.  i have both and they chew on both. i also have gravel and they chew on that.  so. good luck.  but proper diet as ek said is important.  snails. small clams. or evan frozen food.  dont thaw the food out just put it in frozen.  they will chomp on it.  it still helps.  there like rats and mice and stuff.  teeth grow and grow and if they dont have something to naw on they teeth grow to big.

Comment

He's in a 29g so I think we'll have to get some small-ish pieces of driftwood.  Dan is right down the road so we'll just go over there and get some.  Thank you for the offer though Loretta. :)

We have a mix of crushed coral and black sand in Thumper's tank.  I've never seen him pick it up.  When he was younger, he would get food and stuff stuck between his teeth.  If I could get him chewing on driftwood, that would be really great.  I think he's going to have dental problems all his life and I really don't want to have to mess with him.  That will stress us both out.

Here's a picture of him taken in June that shows the gap in his teeth.  It's always been there.  But now his teeth are longer than they are in the pic.  

Our Fishhouse
                      Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

he's adorable......
                        keep us updated on his dental problem though.....
                        i really like his appearance....he's just too darn cute...

Comment

Originally posted by mrairportjunke";p="
                          JGUERRA.   did you feed your puffer the trumpet snails?  if so he might have cracked his tooth and its infected.  i had a puffer awhile back that i feed them too cause i ddint know any better.  he bite into one and went nuts,  didnt eat for like 2 weeks,  belly turned black and he was sick.  finally he tried to eat some blood worms and soon as he took a bite he went nuts.   at that point i still wasnt sure what happed, anyway,  his mouth started gettin a fungus lookin stuff outta it and he died.  noone knew what wsas wrong with him.  well about 3 weeks or so later i was talkin to someone about snails and feedin my puffers and htey told me the trumpets i think are the ones,  box people can help but theyre shells are too hard to crack.  so i put 2 and 2 together and the puffer must have broke his tooth,  thats whyy the fungus and mouth rott started and he was in really bad pain after tryin to eat something soft.  maybe thats whay happened to  yours.  

GEEKS.   i put drift wood and some holey rock in my tank with my puffers.  and if you watch them,  they will chew on the wood and the rocks to keep there teeth trimmed.  they konw they need it.  I could show you grooves and bite marks on both rock and woood.  its funny but they keep them trimmed.  i stoped feeeding snails cause i cant get the right kind easily and the one GSP i have had for probbably 2 yrs i think now and No problems at all with his teeth.  

Just my 2.1 cents......................

well guys, i came home friday and one of my F8 puffers had died , every thing that airportjunke described here was right, well i didnt know about the snails shell being too hard, so ill be more careful with my other puffer... thanks everyone for the great advice.  :)

thanks

jose

Comment

i'm so sorry about your little puffer JGUERRA.......
                            it's not fair they have "teeth" problems.....but thanks to mrairportjunkie we no longer have to worry so much.....
                            big cuddos to him and his advice to us on our puffer dental care..... :)

Comment

Have you ever tried feeding clams and mussels? I buy mine from HEB fresh seafood department, freeze, defrost, then feed. It keeps the teeth trimed.
                              Elvis, Cheech, Chong and the other fish love them. Here is a picture of Elvis with his mussel:
                              A house without a puffer is not a Home.

Comment

Geeks, there are asian markets all over your side of town and they have a nice selection of crustaceans that would be easy for them to eat but beneficial as well. Most of it is still moving too!
                                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                                X