Grass....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grass....

I'm looking for a good grass that grows pretty tall (not too tall) for my wifes 20g. And being I haven't ever had real plants it would need to be something easy to grow....we have Different Tetra's in there along with some fake grass....with plans to add some Cherry Shrimp and maybe a Betta. Now fake looks ok after you get some alge on it but I really want to try live. Any advise?
    A mouth will say anything....:ym_chatterbox:....Take a picture!!!!

Re: Grass....

i always use those tall sword plants that grow in ditches, lol

Comment

Originally posted by alexrex20";p="
      Really!?! That would be cool for sure! I have seen many different plants that grow in the ditches that I thought would look good in the aquarium. Thing is, in the ditch, they may be totally submerged at times, but only after a rain....but then the ditch will dry out. Like the plants are just getting watered. Which makes me wonder how they would fair in an aquarium totaly submerged at all times....

I do know that if I did collect from the ditch (or anywhere for that matter) I would keep the plants in a ?sick? tank with plenty of filteration. Do water changes and such till I think they are ready for the tank.

Comment

then that's what i would do...keep them in another tank and see how they weather.....
        and please give us reports on it....and pics if you can..i'd like to see them....

Comment

You know...I'll do that. I do alot of fishing, plus there are a few creeks and such walking distance from my house....not to mention the ditches everywhere. I believe I'm going to be going on a plant expedition....I have a digital camera and always take lots of pics (just check out my MS page ) But I will definitly post (with pics) location of find and then a pic of how they are fairing every couple days or so....with multi plants going that should mean plenty of updates each day.  :emtthumbs:

Comment

don't forget the   plant dip  
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
              don't forget the   plant dip  
              I'll definily want to use the 3rd dip....but which of the 2 for killing alge would be best.

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHunter";p="
                Really!?! That would be cool for sure! I have seen many different plants that grow in the ditches that I thought would look good in the aquarium. Thing is, in the ditch, they may be totally submerged at times, but only after a rain....but then the ditch will dry out. Like the plants are just getting watered. Which makes me wonder how they would fair in an aquarium totaly submerged at all times....

I do know that if I did collect from the ditch (or anywhere for that matter) I would keep the plants in a ?sick? tank with plenty of filteration. Do water changes and such till I think they are ready for the tank.

i got mine from a ditch that has water in it 24/7, and had not been cut for a few weeks. it did very well in my tank with average lighting, but i finally took them out because they were a hassle to keep buried. those damn cichlids loved to dig! i don't know that they normally grow fully submerged, but they do have these growing on the edges of the pond at Burroughs Park (another good place to pick up many types of aquatic plants).

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHunter";p="
                  You know...I'll do that. I do alot of fishing, plus there are a few creeks and such walking distance from my house....not to mention the ditches everywhere. I believe I'm going to be going on a plant expedition....I have a digital camera and always take lots of pics (just check out my MS page ) But I will definitly post (with pics) location of find and then a pic of how they are fairing every couple days or so....with multi plants going that should mean plenty of updates each day.  :emtthumbs:

i just realized you were from 2920/dowdell. i actually got my most recent plants right down the road from you. i stopped in the taco bell/long john silver's parking lot at 2920/kuykendahl and got them from the ditch right there at the traffic light which takes you to wal-mart.

people were probably wondering what i was doing walking in a ditch with a 5gal bucket...

you live very close to Burroughs Park; you should check it out!

Comment

i got mine from a ditch that has water in it 24/7, and had not been cut for a few weeks. it did very well in my tank with average lighting, but i finally took them out because they were a hassle to keep buried. those darn cichlids loved to dig! i don't know that they normally grow fully submerged, but they do have these growing on the edges of the pond at Burroughs Park (another good place to pick up many types of aquatic plants).

I forgot about Burroughs....that is a good spot....I'm going to try a bunch of different plants and we'll see how they do.

Comment

i just realized you were from 2920/dowdell. i actually got my most recent plants right down the road from you. i stopped in the taco bell/long john silver's parking lot at 2920/kuykendahl and got them from the ditch right there at the traffic light which takes you to wal-mart.

people were probably wondering what i was doing walking in a ditch with a 5gal bucket...

you live very close to Burroughs Park; you should check it out!
                      8O  ...my little brother works there.... I'll have to check it out....let 'em stare...

Comment

I suggest just a handful of Vals.

-Low to moderate lighting
                        -Can survive in most substrate
                        -CO2 not required
                        Raul
                        PokerFace

Comment

I actually have a fishing trip planned for a little later today at Lake Raven....might see what plants i can find there....

Comment

they're pretty good about keeping the ditches mowed though, ever since the intersection took off. i remember when it was all forest and there was just that Shell station...

at Burroughs i get a lot of young water hyacinth. they need lots of sunlight so they don't do well in most aquariums, but i like that they float and have the 'furry' roots. i always use these in my fry tanks. they start withering at the leaves after about 2wks, but Burroughs is so close that it's easy to just go and get some more. there are also some nice lily pads and these other grassy type plants that grow in the water (though not fully submerged). to hell with petsmart/petco and their live plant prices.

Comment

Vals
                              Raul
                              PokerFace

Comment

Working...
                              X