threadfin rainbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• threadfin rainbow

i just rescaped my 20g. i got 3 amanos in there right now and ill be gettin 15 cherries in a couple days. i was gonna stock the tank with 9 harlequin rasboras and 5 featherfin rainbows but someone on another forum told me they were pretty hard to keep. they said they are always sick when you first get them but if its a well established tank they become healthy again. they said its hard to get food small enough for them too. but ive read elsewhere that crushed pellets or betta pellets are ok. whats the deal with these fish?

Re: threadfin rainbow

Mine have been anything but hard to keep. They eat whatever I put in the tank and I've never noticed them having any problems with larger sized foods. They've been as hardy as anything else I've kept. But a heads up, I started with 5 and slowly bumped it up to 10 or 12, the bigger the school the more flaring and showing off hey do. They're a great fish.
    So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

ok great. well i only have a 20g and i wanted some fish that would school nicely, thats why i was planning on 9 harlequins. how hard are they to breed? have you bred any? where did you buy yours? i was at city pets the other day and they had some but they were all colorless...is that just bc of their currect conditions?

Comment

These are what got me into planted tanks.....they are gorgeous fish but their only problem if you want to call it that is that their mouth is super small so they choke easily.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

the threadfins/featherfin rainbows are beautiful fish, when i got my harlequins, i was almost getting the threadfins, but opted for the harlequins because i heard about the small mouth/threat and also that harlequins are hardiers, plus i liked the colors/pattern, my harlequins spawned in 2 or 3 days of being here - see pix in my 120p planted journal in the planted tank section
          65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
          55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
          30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

I have mine in a 20 and I think 10ish is fine, depending on what else is in there. I've got a 10:1 ratio so breeding isn't really something I expect to happen. I don't think they're very hard to spawn if you have enough females though. I got mine from AquaZoo and they were colorless for the first few weeks I had them, but after they got settled their colors really started to come in. I've got a few that look as good as, if not better than, any pictures I've seen. Get a few and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Fire_chair";p="
              I have mine in a 20 and I think 10ish is fine, depending on what else is in there. I've got a 10:1 ratio so breeding isn't really something I expect to happen. I don't think they're very hard to spawn if you have enough females though. I got mine from AquaZoo and they were colorless for the first few weeks I had them, but after they got settled their colors really started to come in. I've got a few that look as good as, if not better than, any pictures I've seen. Get a few and enjoy.
              is aquazoo an online store? you got any pictures?

Comment

AquaZoo is on Hwy 3 and El Dorado, and I believe they're one of the site sponsors on here. No pics.

Comment

I believe City Pets has some threadfin rainbows that are 2 for $3. Beautiful fish.
                  Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                  Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                  Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                  Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

ya they had a tank full a week ago. i was in today and there was one. they are colorless though, and the few they have in the small display tank at checkout are colorless too... and every time i see them they are motionless

Comment

Like most fish from LFS,  they either just came in or were just moved from a different tank... The LFS have a different goal than the hobbyist. (I'm not going to elaborate on this point as it will steer us off topic) They don't provide many hiding spots because a fish that the customer doesn't see is a fish that the customer will not buy. Taking the fish home and caring it for yourself will bring out the best coloration.

The key here is to know the difference between sick and stressed out. :wink:
                      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Comment

ya i got ya, how should i try to determine that?

Comment

jack, as of last week, the old fish ranch II or seahorse or whatever the store in larkwood and 59 is called had two tanks full of them, they all looked pretty healthy and lively to me, and also they have been there for at least 3 or 4 weeks, which is a good thing, so if you want some i would suggest checking those out (the price, i can't remember)
                          65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
                          55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
                          30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Comment

thanks ill call them when i get a chance. does anybody know if fish gallery has any? i was plannin on goin there maybe wednesday just to look around, it sounds really cool

Comment

Fish Gallery is a great place to look around  - especially if you have never been. They didn't have any last time I was there though. You could call them to be sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X