Small live worm in my fish tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small live worm in my fish tank

i have an 10g tank that have not used for about 2 months.......i left some water in there when i moved my fish out to another tank....now, i need that tank for my  fries......i filled up water and added dechlorite. When i have done the set up process....i took a close look and i realized that there were some worm which were really small and in white color and even thinner than my hair.i put some PimaFix fungal treatment in and turned the heater to about 86 degree( there are not any fish in the tank yet). i hope those thing may kill all the worm when i come back home tonight.....
    If you have experienced any problem like this. and you have solutions on solving this, please let's me know....Thanks...

Re: Small live worm in my fish tank

I hope this helps you: http://houstonfishbox.com/modules.ph...ewtopic&t=5387

FB
    Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

I had that issue a while back. After countless hours on the internet and asking around, I come to understand them to be a harmless tubifex-type worm. They can come from uneaten food being left in the tank, tanks needing to be cleaned, etc... Both cases was the sources of my outbreak. In the uneaten food case, I just stop feeding the fish that was in the tank for about 3 days, and I noticed the worms to start dying off. Salt also works, so that can be a quick and easy fix. Any aquarium salt will do, but I personally use NON-IODIZED salt which cost like 3/$1 at Wal-mart. Matter of fact, that the salt I use in all my tanks for regular conditioning...I'm just throwing that out there as a trick of the trade. As I understand it, fry will be in heaven b/c the worms are the perfect size to be nibbled on all day. Matter of fact, fry was suggested to me as the solution but I didn't have any at the time. So based on my net findings and experience, I think your fry should be okay.

Comment

i heard from my friend that he has a flower horn and like Souljaa said the food that was left in the tank produced the worm. in my friend tank, the worms were swimming around his flower horn , some sticked in its body and made some white spots in the fish body.
        i think the idea using salt may work( because for the first solution that Souljaa recommended, i have not feed any food since it's just a empty tank)
        and im so scared because  i have heard that some kinds of tiny worm can go through human blood from the feather hole. im scared to put my hand in the tank and i think i need to take water out, clean everything in the tank and reset it up...

Comment

Special...I would clean it for starters w/ extremely hot salt water - gravel, decorations, etc...all included...just b/c it's been sitting. I would then come back and set it up...dechlorinate the water using whichever chemicals you use...then put about 2 tablespoons of salt in there. That should get you right. It might seems like a lot of salt, but not really b/c the rule of thumb is 1 tbspn per 10 gals...1 tbspn per 5 gals if you're treating a fish for some sort of illness. So the 2 tbspn. won't really bother the fry once they're in there as long as you at least let the tank stabilize for several hours, overnight if you can.

Comment

yeah....im going to do that as soon as possible....i have free time today( July 4th)......better tomorrow...

Comment

this happened again to my cichlid tank(55g). i did water change this morning and saw a lot of tiny worm coming out from the bottom of the tank. i drained and vacuumed about 50% water out  of the tank, filled up and put some more small cichlids(about half inch in size-hope they will eat all the worms), Binox and turned heater up to 86 degree(like suggested by the seller at Antoine fish store). i don't know what i did was right or wrong but i thought those ideas  made sense. Help me out with this disaster...

Comment

any help???

Comment

Working...
                X