Ember tetras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ember tetras

I recently purchased 20 ember tetras for my 37g planted tank.  I've had them for about 3 days so far and they have no color - they just look like grey minnows.  Do they need near perfect water conditions (gh,kh,ph) to color up?  Curently my water is pretty hard +/- 200ppm.  My ph is around 6.5.  Any ideas?

Re: Ember tetras

They're probably still a little stressed out and trying to adjust to their new home. Were they colored up when you bought them? I'd say give them a little more time - as long as they look healthy, then it's alright.

Comment

they weren't colored up when i bought them - but I assumed it was just stress. They look very healthy and active - only lost one while acclimating.  Are there any special types of food they prefer to help them along?

Comment

I have a shoal of about 15 in my tank. It took a whiel for them to color up, gradually becoming redder over about 2 weeks.
        Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Sounds to me like they're not mature yet - Just give them time, they'll get there.

Comment

Where did you get them?

All of mine were pale looking when I got them as well...they all went into a planted tank with co2 so the pH was low and I fed nothing but NewLifeSpectrum H20 flakes which I feel helped the most.

700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Thanks for the replies all.  I bought them at Aqua Zoo over the weekend.  There's a lot more there if anyone is looking.

That's a nice looking setup w/ your embers - what size tank is that?

Comment

Very cool tank, eklikewhoa.  Like the set up.

Comment

I checked mine out last night. All of them are red, and some of them are very red, like they almost glow!

I didn't do anyhting fancy with mine. The tanks is moderately planted, no CO2 but it is about a 6.8 for pH. They just got the same food as all the others in the tank.

I realy like these guys. They are small, but very active. Although my tank is moving steadily towards smaller and smaller inhabitants, I still have a few big guys in there (like a 3" gourami, and some blue and balck skirt tetras) but these little guys stand up to them just fine.
                  Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Working...
                  X