Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

white parrot (pink convict and parrot hybrid)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white parrot (pink convict and parrot hybrid)

well, i stopped by fish gallery today and saw these fish that they are selling as "white parrots", they basically look like pink convicts with a blowup stomach - bloodparrot cichlidish shape, i think they are all males, behavior is much very similar to convicts - not like parrots, they looked nice in a wierd way, but i had a guilty feel everytime i looked at them, just like i do when i look at parrots,  i know much of fish we see today in the stores are human bred/selectively bred, but hybrids are just a whole different level, don't know what to think of them, i did have the urge to get one, but i would never do that, anyway, i thought i would share with you guys  :?
    65 gallon - ADA 120p - planted
    55 gallon - AGA standard - mix cichlid
    30 gallon tall - eclipse acrylic - semi-planted

live and let live

Re: white parrot (pink convict and parrot hybrid)

Why wouldn't you get one?  Unless you just don't like the fish itself.  

It isn't the fish's fault that it's a hybrid - it just knows it want's somebody to love it just as much as all the others...

I've come to think that you'll never stop people from hybridizing.  Heck, I mixed some standard paleatus cories with some longfin albino ones in an effort to get the traits I like best of each one.  It's my attempt to get a combination of longfin non-albinos.  

I don't like dyed fish tho - that's just plain evil.  I rank it up with people having their little girls ears pierced when they're babies.  To me, it's something painful that's forced onto another without their consent or understanding.
    The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
    Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spot86t";p="
      Why wouldn't you get one?  Unless you just don't like the fish itself.  

It isn't the fish's fault that it's a hybrid - it just knows it want's somebody to love it just as much as all the others...

I've come to think that you'll never stop people from hybridizing.  Heck, I mixed some standard paleatus cories with some longfin albino ones in an effort to get the traits I like best of each one.  It's my attempt to get a combination of longfin non-albinos.  

I don't like dyed fish tho - that's just plain evil.  I rank it up with people having their little girls ears pierced when they're babies.  To me, it's something painful that's forced onto another without their consent or understanding.
      I agree with Spot here. I own Blood Parrots, Flowerhorn Parrots, and Black Saltys. All are hybrids. I like them just as much as the "wild type" fish I own. Not the fish's fault anymore than someones beloved Labradoodle, or Pekapoo dogs :)
      PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

I think the flowerhorn parrots look kinda cool!

They all have almost perfect characters and nice pearls on them!
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

We are all Hybrids of some kind!!
          300 W/C Burundi
          210 W/C Moba/ Cyrtocara Moorii
          210 F1 Moba
          180 W/C Mpimbwe
          180 F1 Burundi

Comment

I'm an Irish, Italian and American Indian hybrid.  Probably some other stuff thrown in too that I don't know about.  :)
            The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
            Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

now only if fishgallery was not so freaking expensive, i might have just made myself go get the "white parrot", i think they are selling them for $20 or something like that!

live and let live

Comment

We have 3 blood parrots, one that I got when a LFS was going out of business (I think it was a dollar) :) and 2 that came to live with us because they didn't have anyplace else to go and we LOVE them all.  The latter two are a little bit larger than softballs and our first little guy swims around with them like he's king of the tank now with his own personal bodyguards.  

Like everyone else has said, nothing wrong with them in my opinion.  Hybrid or not they are very sweet fish.  

However, I would never buy a tattoo'ed parrot, but that's just me.  I don't like the idea of tattooing a fish.  It seems wrong, but that's a topic for another thread.

I've never seen the white parrot.  Sounds interesting.  Got pics?
                Our Fishhouse
                Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

I'm impressed with the fact that you even went into the Fish Gallery, we just covered in detail how we all love the store and the nice people and all, but then again, those prices.....yikes.....

CF
                  Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

well, at least once a week i will stop by some of the lfs's close to me just to see what they have going, although i liked fishgallery a lot more when they were off of shepherd (can't remember what they were called then), they still have some good selections sometimes, i rarely buy livestock from there because of several reasons, 1- they are really expensive compared to pretty much any other place, 2 - they usually have a lot of disease in their tanks and lots of dead/dying fish, more so than your petco/petsmart sometimes, for instance, i saw all these nice apistos about a week ago, yesterday they all seem to be sick, some died, others have finrot going on, and they don't bother to remove the dead apistos that are clearly visible, also, except for the older guy (can't remember his name, he was at the shepherd store too), all the other little turds don't know anything but definitely have the attitude "why are you bothering me, i am busy doing nothing or acting cool"

live and let live

Comment

That's not that bad....When they had the flowerhorn parrots they were going for like $80!!!!

Wait for city pets to get them....they had the flowerhorn parrots for $20
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Oh, I don't blame you one bit, if I lived near the Fish Gallery, I would drop in on them now and then too.....again, it's a beautiful store and the staff is very helpful and friendly.  Who wouldn't want to stop in and have a look around, you never know, they may have something you just got to have, no matter how expensive it is.... :)

CF
                        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

The butterfly barbs there are some got to have stuff!  I don't go there anymore knowing that they are in there....at $25 a pop it would kinda hurt to leave with a nice school of them.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

sometimes they definitely do have fish i don't see elsewhere as long as you are good with parting with an arm or a leg, i got my hillstream loaches from there, they are doing well

live and let live

Comment

Originally posted by finfan";p="
                              sometimes they definitely do have fish i don't see elsewhere as long as you are good with parting with an arm or a leg, i got my hillstream loaches from there, they are doing well
                              Fondren Fish 'n' Pets sells hillstream loaches for about half the cost that Fish Gallery sells them for. They had plenty last week.
                              EK is right, I got my Flowerhorn Parrots at City Pets because of the cost.
                              PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Working...
                              X