Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which LFS's in town has some Discus?

Before buying any discus check around not only in town but on internet as well. Do your research on them too.
    Also if you have any question on discus please feel free to ask.
    Both Dan & I know are knowledgeable on discus.
    Just remember no matter were you get your discus make sure of the quality & Health of them 1st.

Could you please tell us a little about your tank.

I dont carry a large amount of discus as I only breed them in Houston tap water.  Well the fish are born in R.O. water & slowly moved to Houston tap water in 3 weeks. Any & all discus that are not in great shape will be culled out.
    So you know mine are not import from other countries.
    Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
    Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
    Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

I always try to do my research when trying out a new fish, especially if they can get pricy! What gets frustrating is that you sometimes find conflicting resources, so you figure you might as well jump into it and see for yourself.

The tank will be a 75 gallon, aquasoil substrate covered in natural gravel to help prevent cloudiness from re-planting and bottom dwellers, so the pH and hardness should hover a little lower than tap. It’ll be moderately planted, but not too crazy and decorated with natural river-type stones and driftwood. There will be peaceful schooling fish like rummy nose and cardinal tetras and a few larger non-predatory filter feeding shrimp. Perhaps a few interesting, but peaceful oddballs as well. The temperature will be about 80 degrees. The water will be filtered with a canister filter and supplemented with an Aquaclear 70 for surface agitation and the strong cascade to help aerate the water.

While new to discus, I’ve had experience rasing supposedly difficult things like high grade crystal red shrimp and Japanese-bred koi. I’m not an expert in aquaria, but like to think that I go about things carefully and intelligently and am fortunate to have a vast knowledge base in houstonfishbox. I appreciate the offers of help from both you Walter and Dan, so expect me to take you up on that!

Bun

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB";p="
        I always try to do my research when trying out a new fish, especially if they can get pricy! What gets frustrating is that you sometimes find conflicting resources, so you figure you might as well jump into it and see for yourself.

The tank will be a 75 gallon, aquasoil substrate covered in natural gravel to help prevent cloudiness from re-planting and bottom dwellers, so the pH and hardness should hover a little lower than tap. It’ll be moderately planted, but not too crazy and decorated with natural river-type stones and driftwood. There will be peaceful schooling fish like rummy nose and cardinal tetras and a few larger non-predatory filter feeding shrimp. Perhaps a few interesting, but peaceful oddballs as well. The temperature will be about 80 degrees. The water will be filtered with a canister filter and supplemented with an Aquaclear 70 for surface agitation and the strong cascade to help aerate the water.

While new to discus, I’ve had experience rasing supposedly difficult things like high grade crystal red shrimp and Japanese-bred koi. I’m not an expert in aquaria, but like to think that I go about things carefully and intelligently and am fortunate to have a vast knowledge base in houstonfishbox. I appreciate the offers of help from both you Walter and Dan, so expect me to take you up on that!

Bun
        Hey Bun,
        To learn more about discus, go visit www.simplydiscus.com  
        Write your setup on this forum and get comments and advice on your plan before you do it.

daniel
        Thank you Walter
        Visit Houston Aquarium Warehouse in Stafford Texas 77477
        www.houstonaquariumwarehouse.com

Comment

Too late! It's been set up for a couple weeks now, but after doing my own research, I'm pretty confident in it. Thanks for the link Dan, the articles were really informative.

Comment

Just by your used ID here I would think you always try to have more then one plan.
            You are right with finding conflicting opinions. You will find that out a lot with most fish as well. Its because different things work differently for people.

From what I have gather from your posting is you have done a great job with what you have so far.
            You will need to remember that on the shrimp. Is if they will fit into the mouth of a discus they will eat it. Most of the time discus are lazy fish & dont like to much to have to chase after their food but they will at times. Also you might wont to bump up the temp a little bit to 82 OR 83 degrees. Its a fine line with plants & discus. You will need to adjust the temp to keep both happy & healthy.
            One other thing I can think of is at night discus love to be able to hide. What I mean is they like to feel secured while sleeping.
            What I have done is to put pieces of wood that over hang in the water so they can stay under it. Its kind of like a cave for them.

Also anyone can put up a beautiful planted tank. But not many can keep the tank with the same discus & plants in it.

You might try to use this web site also http://discusasahobby.com/index.html
            Mod OF Marshreef

Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Originally posted by GulfCoastDiscus";p="

daniel
              Thank you Walter
              Your welcome Dan. WE may have conflicting personal issues but I know we both love keeping discus.
              Mod OF Marshreef

Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

I thought it would be a good catchphrase, "Time for PlanB!!!"

Bumping up the temp. shouldn't be a problem, I made sure I got a decent heater. Sure you could pay $20 for a topfin, but they don't even have a temp. gauge! I think they're marked cool to warmer or something like that... The shrimp are the size of small lobsters, about 3-4 inches so they should be discus proof. The driftwood I got are the shape of tree stumps kind of, with big natural cave like openings with plenty of open space inside so I got that covered too. Just tested the water the other night and I'm confident that it's fully cycled and ready for some discus.

Thanks for the info, Walter!

Comment

Your welcome Bun & good luck with your new adventure with discus.
                  If you have any question please feel free to ask. I am sure either Dan or I or some of the others will answer them ASAP for you. As you know everyone on the Fish Box loves to help others out with a little bit of humor thrown in.
                  Mod OF Marshreef

Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Working...
                  X