Question.. Can you please help??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question.. Can you please help??

I have a huge Piece of wood. Its been sitting in salt walter for i dont know how long its all most petrafied. And i want to put it into a fresh how do i clean it up to get the salt water substance out of the wood to make it safe for the fresh water??
    [b][i][u][align=center]Fish is a Great hobby!!!! help me out more! haha

Re: Question.. Can you please help??

I would soak it in a tub of freshwater for a week or so.

Comment

ok. Just soak it?? And just keep it in the water dont change the water out???? And dose it matter if its kinda cold (room temp) or hot
      [b][i][u][align=center]Fish is a Great hobby!!!! help me out more! haha

Comment

Temperature doesn't really matter, as long as you soak it for a while, like J-WS6 suggested. But I would change the water out a few times if you can.

Edit - Thinking about it, is there a lot of stuff on it? You might try to boil it, if possible, depending on how much is growing on there. If there's a lot, I'd try to boil it, and scrub it. That way if you put it in FW and the stuff dies (which it will) you won't get a huge ammonia spike.
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

If you have a hand held shower head with a hose, I would try using hot water on it too. Take it to the shower and rinse it for 10 minutes or so, with your hot water only. The hot water may help disolve the salt residue quickly.....then take it outside for a good long cold water rinse....

Just my thoughts on the subject....

CF
          Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

I always soak my driftwood (to get out the tannins) in a nice hot bath using my guest bath tub. The drain and faucet makes it super-easy change the water.

Comment

okay, I'm just repeating what I found researching driftwood. I would first pressure wash it. If you don't have a pressure washer you can take it to a car wash and run the wash in "Rinse for a few minutes then pressure wash the heck out of it but washing the surfaces from the sides, not directly. This will create a vacuum effect and pulling out debris rather than forcing debris into the wood. Next boil or put into a tub and pour boiling water over it until submersed. You will need to place something over the wood to hold it down. Soak for a couple days with at least one water change a day. Then Quick dry. In the oven if you're brave (it will stink) or in direct sunlight.

Other options are soaking in bleach water and then soaking and drying like above or vinegar water and soaking an drying like above.

Hope this helps.
              All men are created equal but his choices determine his value and what's in his heart determines his worth.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Comment

NUKE IT
                Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

dishwasher
                  So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

Just boil it for a few hours on the stove or BBQ pit.
                    Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                    Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                    Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

BBQ even

Comment

if you have a swimming pool chunk it in there for a couple of days....and then put in treated water for another couple of days to get the chlorine in check...but at least the salt would be out......

Comment

Working...
                        X