December Pick Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: December Pick Up

Sorry to hear that geoff. All I can say is those fish must be sensitive to temp.
    Cause I have driven for 6 hours with boxes of discus in the truck & never lost one.
    Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
    Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
    Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

I had the window's down and it was hot, but I think what got them the most was the time spent in BestBuy, then I floated them for 40 mintues.

This must not have been long enough, cause the next day 8 were Dead and 7 were alive.  Of the 7 alive two were on their sides from the Ammonia from the other 8 dead fish.

The tank just the day before, had 16 Annectens in it for about 6 weeks. So there is no way it was water in my tank related.  The ph in the tank was 8.2, and the water at Mike's well is 8.2-8.4

The only choice I was left with was the temperature.
      380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
      300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
      180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
      150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Geoff I dont float the fish when I get them in. For the reason of the ammonia that becomes present as soon as the bag is open up. If you fell more comfortable with floating then put them in a bucket with 100% of the bag water & 25% of tank water with a slow drip for an hour or so with an air stone.
        What I like to do is just open the bag net the fish & put them straight into the tank & black out the tank ( meaning no light) for several hours. Sence I have doing this I have never lost one fish unless the fish was sick in the 1st place.

Oh Geoff I dont think I have to question your water as I know you have experience with fish.
        Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
        Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
        Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Originally posted by wvgdiscus";p="
          Geoff I dont float the fish when I get them in. For the reason of the ammonia that becomes present as soon as the bag is open up. If you fell more comfortable with floating then put them in a bucket with 100% of the bag water & 25% of tank water with a slow drip for an hour or so with an air stone.
          What I like to do is just open the bag net the fish & put them straight into the tank & black out the tank ( meaning no light) for several hours. Sence I have doing this I have never lost one fish unless the fish was sick in the 1st place.

Oh Geoff I dont think I have to question your water as I know you have experience with fish.

"What I like to do is just open the bag net the fish & put them straight into the tank & black out the tank ( meaning no light) for several hours. Sence I have doing this I have never lost one fish unless the fish was sick in the 1st place."

Same procedure I do....the only time I floated for a period past 10 minutes...I lost my Ikolas.

Comment

I like to transport fish in bags....no foulings makes it's way in....I also do the float and net into tank thing...
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I personally take a pitcher and fill it with 25% tank water, take the fish out of the bag with some of the water and mix the two. I then add 3 cups from the tank every 5 minutes. After that I set 'em free and watch...never fails!

Comment

Mike,
                were you able to get a collection point on the blue Zambians? Everything that Ive found online is pointing to Cape Chaitika
                just southeast of the Lufubu.
                thanks
                -Cesar

Comment

Cesar,
                  People are at the lake now.
                  Generally that is the collection area, but I haven't heard an official word yet.
                  Mike
                  www.txtropheustraders.com

Comment

Working...
                  X