Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auction fish doing Great!

Hi all,
     I just wanted to check in and say that all the fish that I picked up at the auction (8-26-07) are doing fantastic! The coleto creek pair even dropped a batch of fry for me last night.  <Happy dance> I have been amazed with all the fish I brought home that I only lost one little sword fish.  All but one (see next paragraph) are wonderfully calm and seem quite content.

One male (the silver sailfin) is a major fright case.  I added plants to slow the silver male down in his freak out moments so that he won't hurt himself (he literately swims so hard that he hits the top and if the back were open he would jump out of the tank) I've given a lot of extra hiding places.  Can we say fishy Prozac?   Do fish inherit personality traits such as this? Any other suggestions on some way to get him to not want to jump out of the tank every time we walk by?  When he doesn't know we are around he comes out feeds, acts like a sexy male sword fish is supposed to.

Stormz

Re: auction fish doing Great!

Just give him time and a lot of good hiding places and he'll calm down.  Isn't it great to be able to get healthy, locally raised fishes have a great time at the same time.
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

I agree, in time he'll get better. I moved my mollies to another tank a couple weeks ago, and the normally easy-going, swim to the glass everytime I walked by fish became just like you're describing. It took about a week, and I made sure to add more plants (hiding places = security) and now they're back to normal.
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

ok,   I have added plants and hiding places and covered one end of the aquarium for now so he has a whole corner to feel safe in.  Didn't mean to sound impatient, but was just worried since all of the others are already calmed down and happy.  Thanks for the input.

<edit to fix spelling and grammar   >

Comment

Like the others have said eventually it will calm down, also what I do with really twitchy fish is interact with them more like walk past the tank more and stuff like that.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

If you come out short of pineapple colored swordfish males or females later on when they are bigger let me know.

max

Comment

Thank you Max I will keep that in mind :)

I have now had two batch of Fry. I have seperated approximately 18.. give or take a couple.. (hard to count them)  All the fish are still doing great for me and my son. The babies come up to eat and will go nose to nose with my son already it is CUTE! !

The Silver Male is calming down some, but likes to have a night light on.. when we turn off all the lights he does his "freek out" routine but the rest of the time he is doing a lot better.

Thanks all for the advice .. Hope to see ya at the next auction if not sooner.

Comment

I think some of the pinapples had babies!  They are so tiny right now It is hard to tell much about them.  so far I have gathered and counted 14.. I didn't think they were old enough to start dropping little ones!    Looks like I need to set up a grow out tank pretty soon.

Stormz

Comment

Sounds like it! Congrats! If you can get pictures, I'm sure we'd love to see them.

Are all of these guys in the same tank? How many gallons?

Again, congrats on the new babies!
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Congratulations on the babies. It is great to hear about young people who are not all plugged into TV and video games. Hopefully we will see you all tommorrow.

max

Comment

Mzungu I have them in two 90 gal tanks.  So far no one has  had any major fights.. every now and then we get some showing off  with the giant sailfin mollies but then they sort of find their cover and leave each other alone.   I will try to get some pictures later this week..but no promises since I have never been really good at getting aquarium pictures without the big glare.

I wish I could have made it to the auction Max, but it is probably a good thing I didn't .. I'm not sure I could have kept my hand down during the bidding    If I can talk my hubby into letting me bring in more tanks.. (other than a grow out tank) well then next auction.. I will be there !

My son still is so into the fish it is hard to imagine. No matter how upset he is..if i let him feed the fish (a tiny pinch of food) he is a happy camper and then we can transition him into even doing his homework!  Thank you all and see you soon.

Stormz

Comment

Sounds like you found the perfect thing for your son!
                        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Howdy Stormz,

We are soooo glad your family is enjoying the fish!  Mollies and Swordtails are extra fun becasue the males desplay when they are courting their females.

Everyone gave great advice to calm down the fish after the auctions.  Not all fish are raised in glass tanks where they can see people walk by.  I raise most of my mollies, platies & swordtails in barrels outside durning the summer.  They should adjust, make sure you also have a cover on the tank so they don't jump out.  later, ken/mark

Comment

Working...
                          X