I am now Officially, a Stripper....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am now Officially, a Stripper....

I got a little impatient waiting on the second of two female peacocks I have to spit her babies out. I was concerned she has not eaten that I could tell for almost two weeks, so I gently held her over a net and applied enough pressure on her general head area to keep her from moving but not breathing. I was surprised to see the first wigglers poppin out of her mouth fairly quicky.
    After about a dozen or so, I have her a break and took those fry and transfered them into a small container and took them into the den and placed them into their new home for a while. (one of those little net boxes).
    I went back and caught her again and did the same thing and got maybe another dozen or more this time, but I think she may even have more, I'll check in the morning, right now I think I will let her recoup for the night.

SO......I am hereby dubbing myself a "stripper".

thanks to Raul and Hanson on the "how to's" of proper stripping techniques.   :)

CF
    Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Re: I am now Officially, a Stripper....

I tried the stripping once, but it was too hard to do when I only had an inch-and-half to work with. And yes, I'm talking about a small fish.
    So many things can be a mystery, when all we're seeking is freedom...

Comment

Congrats!
      Raul
      PokerFace

Comment

I think it takes away from the enjoyment of watching the mother brood her young and for nature to take its course.

I've had my tropheus hold for about 4 wks with no ill outcome and great healthy fry come from it.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

wow....did i miss something?....

Comment

Originally posted by fishlady";p="
            wow....did i miss something?....
            No, you didn't miss anything fishlady.  Stripping is done out of neccessity or ones preference.  Ek, was just stating his preference/opinion.  

Raul
            Raul
            PokerFace

Comment

Did my reply come off as wrong?

All I stated was that it takes away from watching the mother do her thang???

Or did Fishlady not know that CF stripped the fish? Hard to tell sometimes since it does seem like Fishlady and CF sometimes write as if they live in two seperate places and don't talk to each other. :?
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Well, seems like there is no end to the surprises and learning curves one receives when in this hobby.

Here I was flying high, basking in the glory of having several fish produce fry and then learning how to strip and then another disaster, the fry I stripped last night, well, most of them did not make it thru the day. Fishlady, (who does live here with me) reports that when she got home and checked on all the kids, found most of the freshly stripped babies dead in the "fry box"

Why, I have no clue, my first guess would be temp and water change from the sick tank in the kitchen to the main community tank in my den.

I'm on a real roller coaster here with these dang fish, I'll tell you what.....I'm about to just let them do their own thing when it comes to having babies and taking care of the kids.

CF

PS..... For the record, Fishlady and I are very good/close friends who live in the same house, but have different schedules and sometimes don't get the "memo"

8)
                Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Sorry to hear your loss CF!

I dont mean to thread jack...but

I have a sunshine peacock that is spitting out fry (compliments of Hanson77).  It has spat out like 4 or so babies so far.  Should I strip the female or should I let it happen naturally?
                  Michael
                  Clear Lake, TX

Comment

Probably too young when you striped them and the shock caused their death. Or they are young and not free swimming so fungus took their lives.

I think if you plan on stripping then build/buy a tumbler and nursery which can stay in with the parents so that the water params aren't fluctuating. Or a better option is to set up a nursery for the brooding mother so that she won't be stressed out by the others and she will nurse her babies and you could witness it all.

The stripping thing is personal preferrence but if you are out for the money then stripping would yield the most fry. Allowing for nature to take its course would assure survival of the fittest.

Again it is all personal preferrence...
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Sorry about your fry, CF. I think it's a fine idea to let them do their thing, it makes it much more fun, at least for me. I personally don't have any "parents," my fish are all of the "spawn and forget it" mentality. (Some are of the "Ooh, look! Tasty fish eggs! Yum!" mentality.) It's also good for space issues...if you let nature run its course, you get the really strong ones surviving and not too many babies that you can't handle.  :)

Here I was thinking fishlady was referring to the pun of the title...
                      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                      X