55 gallon or go bigger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 gallon or go bigger?

Thanks for your help\suggestions with planting my 55 gallon tank in the other post.  Now that I have it full of substrate and a driftwood centerpiece I am coming to know the limitations of using the narrow 55 gallon tall as a planted tank.

I'm at a decision point now before I buy plants and fish.  

Would it be worth the hassle of selling my 55 with stand on and put off the "here and now" to gain the five or so inches that a 75 would bring?  I don't have so much $$ in the tank and stand that I'd loose my shirt on it even at craig's list prices.

So what do you think?

55Gal     48x13x20 - Stick with it bud.  A tank in hand is worth two in the lake.
    75Gal     48x18x20 - Bigger is better and that extra five inches makes it worth a bit of hassle now.
    90Gal     48x18x24 - Taller and longer, Taller and longer.
    120 Gal  48x24x24 - Double your pleasure, Double your fun.  You'll need to buy another $$ filter though.

Let's stick with 48in. so I don't need to sell my new lights.  No, 96in wide is not an option now even if I was given the tank!
    Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks!

Re: 55 gallon or go bigger?

The 90 is the choise I would make
    but if I got a good deal on a 75, I wouldn't pass it off.

right now, I'm keeping 3 - 45g tanks    36x18x18
    the deeper tanks landscape so much better.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I would go with the 90g but like PP said a good deal on a 75g is hard to pass.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

The price difference between a 75 and 90 make the 90 the way to go.  The only reason that I didn't get the 90 was because of the extra weight from substrate and water since I'm on the third floor of an apartment complex.  I didn't think that you needed as much filtration with a planted tank???  I thought the plants acted as part of your filtration....could be wrong.

Comment

With a 90 gallon you'll be below 3wpg since you're keeping your lights (which I think is a great idea!), and that can limit your plant choice if you're already set on high light plants. Plus, it's 4" taller, which means the light will have to travel further to get to the plants. I think your best bet for a planted tank is the 75 - it's a great shape, wide enough that you can really get some "depth" in your aquascape.
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Doesn't a 75g and 90g have the same foot print?  I thought the 90gallon was just taller.  That's not worth the extra cash IMO.  Now if the tank was wider than 18" or longer, then I would spend some extra.

Raul
            Raul
            PokerFace

Comment

Yeah the 90 is just taller and for planted tank it actually looks good.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

yeah but my 75 is going to be awsome when i get it finished planting it....i can't wait to amaze you all with it's beauty....it will be done very very soon.....

Comment

Looks like I am going to be selling my 55 gallon tank and stand.  I have two other 55 gallon tanks with stands in the garage that I picked up on a trade that I'd already planned to sell after I get them cleaned up.
                  Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks!

Comment

Didn't take much to twist your arm on that one.....LOL.

Comment

I'd go with a 75... I don't know how tall you are... but planting things in tall tanks can be a pain. Measure another four inches on your 55 and see if you are comfortable with that...
                      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Well, I got some good feedback from this and another forum.  No one said anything to even try and convince me to stay with the 55.  

Looks by their post that I'll be competing with MJY6087 on Criagslist for the next 75.  I'll look at a 90 if the cost is about the same but really don't know if the added 4in of depth going to help my lights.  I just don't see enough 120Gals to have hope I can get one in my budget.

Comment

Be sure to check out MARSHreef.com as well, I saw a couple 75s for sale on there.
                          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I picked up a 75 gallon tank Saturday along with stand some fluorite, and a Eheim 2215.  I put it in the garage and filled it with water to double check for leaks.  Needs some TLC and I'll bring it in the house and start cycling it.

I like the size a lot better so far.  I'll know for sure once I start to plant it but it is a good improvement over the 55.  I can see why the market is flooded with 55s.

Comment

Might want to get another 2215 for that tank.....I have a 2213 on my 30g and it is no where near enough flow to keep things stable so I had to add a 2211 and plan to upgrade the 2213 to a 2215.
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X