electric blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric blues

how many varieties of "electric blues" are there?  how can you tell them apart?  for instance... Sciaenochromis ahli and Sciaenochromis fryeri

Re: electric blues

no experts out there on electric blues?

Comment

Its a slow day, being Fathers Day and and Sunday.  I think the fryeri and also called iceburgs.  They have white coloration on top from nose to back.

Raul
      Raul
      PokerFace

Comment

Go to Cichlid-Forum.com and see how many there are....there is a pretty good number of them.  Most of them have pics to see the subtle differences.  I think Raul is right though on the fryeri being called Iceburgs.

Comment

That's the problem with common names...If I were you, I'd learn the scientific names and ID accordingly. Even with all the subspecies out there, at least knowing a genus and species can narrow down the list tremendously.  :)

Just wondering, but why do you ask? Are you in the market for them, or just curious?
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Yeah, I know of a few people on here that have more than a few for sale....LOL.  I actually have female holding as we speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
              That's the problem with common names...If I were you, I'd learn the scientific names and ID accordingly. Even with all the subspecies out there, at least knowing a genus and species can narrow down the list tremendously.  :)

Just wondering, but why do you ask? Are you in the market for them, or just curious?
              The reason I am trying to find out is to get the scientific names to learn... just like you said.  I want to educate my self a little.  I was trying to find out from the web, but while looking it seems like on two different sites they use different names, but looks like the same picture?  I did read that one of them has more of a "roman nose"?

Comment

Fin coloration is about your only other determining factor and that's still iffy.  The Ahlis will stay pretty much solid blue.  The Fryeris will get the really distinct white blaze usually from what I have seen starting either at the tip of their nose or top of the forehead.  The "roman nose" that you speak of is pretty characteristic of most of these types of fish.  The ventral fins will usually also turn a black color with the anal fin also turning black with some orange at maturity.

Comment

but while looking it seems like on two different sites they use different names, but looks like the same picture?

That's exactly what I'm talking about.  :?  It gets pretty confusing! Maybe I worded my post wrong...if you can avoid the name "electric blue," do so at all times, IMO. So, instead of looking at what one site says is an electric blue, look at the scientific name. Then you can easily compare to other references. Another problem is that I could just decide one day that I wanted to name another species "electric blue," and no one could stop me.  

I completely understand what you're saying, that you want to educate yourself, and hopefully I'm not deterring you. I'm just saying that this week, all species commonly known as electric blues can be different than those for next week. So, in essence, it would be much harder to keep up with.

That's why I was asking your purpose, if you saw a fish you were interested in and only know it as an electric blue, or you just noticed one day that there were a lot of fish around with that particular name.

I did read that one of them has more of a "roman nose"?

Interesting description!    But again, it's only relevant if you know what species they're talking about.

I apologize for going on and on, I'm having a hard time explaining myself today! But there are a lot of people here that can give you some of the scientific names, and then you can start finding much more reliable information.  
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

The reason I am asking is I have about 6 "blue fish" that were bought as "electric blues"  I am just trying to figure out what I have.  Two of them have almost a yellow stripe down the nose to top of their forehead.  The other 4 are darker blue that the two.  But all could have alot to do with size and how dominate they are right?

Comment

If you can post of pic or two of what you have, it might be easier.  How big are they?  That yellow stripe sounds like it might be something else.  I have never seen the Sciaenochromis ahli or fryeri with a yellow blaze.  That sounds more like a Otopharynx lithobate.  They get the same blue coloring in the body but the blaze is yellow instead of white.

Comment

I know this is an old post,but I thought I might chime in,the ahlis are a little different from the fryeri,like everybody else has said the fryeri have
                        that white blaze from their mouths to their rear fins,with their anal fins
                        being either orange or red.The ahlis have more barring on their bodies and blue coloration is not as vivid. I breed the fryeri,currently have around 150-200 fry ranging in size from 3" to .5", pics are on their way
                        check out this website for pictures of fryeri and of ahlis

thanks
                        cesar

Comment

Working...
                        X