3 amano shrimps pregnant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 amano shrimps pregnant

I have a tall 12 gallon eclipse tank that was given to me by my cousin. He is also on this forum by the sn: screename

Anyways,
    I wake up one day and I normally like to stare at the shrimps as the scavenge around for food and I noticed that one of the amanos was pregnant. This was about 2 weeks ago.

Screename came over and agreed that it was indeed pregnant.

I came home from work yesterday and stared at my aquarium again ( inspecting the pregnant amano and the tank)
    I look at one fat shrimp carrying eggs and I noticed that 2 more were also carrying plenty of eegs. Their abdomens , close to the legs) was filled with yellow-blackish small spherical shapes or eggs. I made sure that wasnt some kind of disease  :o and thought, wow. I finally have some pregnant shrimps.

The funny thing is, Ive read up on them and there is this one aquarist who has been in the hobby for 11 years and his amano was also pregnant (tropical fish mag) He said he has never heard of such a thing and I was shocked.

I have read that the larvae of these amanos need to be raised in ocean water since they spend a little time of their lives in the phytoplantic reefs and then they mature and return to freshwater streams.

I may try to raise the young or sadly, let them be.

It is summer and I have plenty of time to brew anything up to try to keep these guys alive once they are born

Re: 3 amano shrimps pregnant

Good Luck with your endeavors.

8)
    Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Good luck with them.....if you try to raise them that is.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

some people have had success with a big bunch of java moss and just leaving them in the tank.. I will read more once i get an actual work break...  

Comment

Working...
        X