What can I have in 29gal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I have in 29gal?

I would appreciate your ideas/advice on what can I add for more color and character to my 29gal planted tank (cener of attention kind of fish)

I thought of a pair of Pearl Gourami (hardy, beautiful colors, top level), but I've read they grow to 5in - Is it too much for 29 gal?
    I am also considering Blue or Bolivian Rams - just because they look really good in stores - are they really that hard to keep?

Are there other better peaceful candidates preferably to mid-top level?
    (Angel fish is out due to my wife's strong opinions.)

Fish in the tank now:
    2 -  albino cory catfish (bottom)
    6 -  glowlight tetra  (mostly mid-bottom)

I have 30gal rated Whisper (will phase out) and added Aquaclear 70 for filters, and don't use air pump.

Re: What can I have in 29gal?

Maybe some honey gourami's?

Rams are not hard to keep but it is hard to come by good stock which is the key to the success rate of these fish. If you tank is stable and clean I don't see why you shouldn't be able to keep a pair of rams in your tank.

For additional fish I would get some more glowlights for your tank. The bigger group will look better in your tank.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I agree with ek's suggestion - more glowlights would look great. But then again, Leeri's are beautiful...

If you do get more tetras, I'd get more cories - these are shoaling fish as well, and they're so much fun to watch in larger groups!  :)
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

dwarf longfin pleco or 3+ O-cats

6+ cardnal tetras

2+ female bettas or 1 male betta

3+ highfin platties  (watch out for population explosion)
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Thank you
          Will try rams then - looked at them again - they do look great
          Will also add couple tetras and another cory.

PS Should have bought a bigger tank  :?

Comment

Speaking of 29 Gal..what are folks thoughts of keeping a mated Krib pair in a 29 Gal with a few dither fish (are these needed, at all?) and a clown pleco?

Would the same work in a 26 Gal bowfront?

Comment

The 26bow has a pretty small footprint but if you left the clown out I think it's plenty space.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

ek,

Appreciate feedback...any small plecos or cories I could put in safely?

But I think you are going to say no due to aggressiveness of kribs when parenting...there wouldnt really be a very safe place for anyone in a 26 gal bowfront when kribs have fry...anything would need to remain in constant hiding and not dare forage.

Comment

dude i tried 2 female bettttas and one of them went all canibal on the other.  dont do that.  I have a 30 gallon that i have my baby africans in right now but before the nursery I had rosy barbs, glow lights, neons, and 2 rainbow sharks and a pleco.  all got along fine and was a nice mix and fun to watch.

Comment

I keep tanks with 20+ female bettas and they get along well.  Occasionaly I get a tank bully but it usually turns out to be a short finned male.   If you do see a sick or injured fish in your tank you should move it to a quaranteen tank and treat it before it passes the disease on to others or before the tank bully kills it.   In my case, any tank bullies get to swim in the FlowerHorn tank.   He likes them.
                    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

With 29 gallons you can have 3 groups of 6 each, upper, middle, bottom level groups.

I had a 29 gallon that had 6 serpae tetras, 6 cories, 6 zebra danios.

Eventually I got rid of the zebra danios and added 15 cardinal tetras (yes, overstocked but I doubled filtration kept up weekly water changes and prayed for no long power failures). That was a good combination, the serpaes mostly harassed each other, if they wanted to bother the cardinals, there were too many for them to pick on any one and the cardinals were so fast they quit trying.

The cories eventually died, I think the planted tank gravel was not clean enough for them maybe. And the zebra danios would take their food. I put in 5 kuhlie loaches after moving to a larger tank (3 kuhlies with 10 cardinal and 6 serpae would have worked well). The serpaes tried to intimidate the kuhlies, staring at one all mean looking, trying to get their food, the cories would get all upset at that but the kuhlies simply ignored them.

Serpae tetras are so pretty against green, they get really bright in a planted tank, hard to see when they are all pale in a fish store. They strut and carry on like little boxers, sparring with each other while the females wait in the bushes for anyone who isn't too busy.

Six seems to be the best number, when I had 10 in a different tank they didn't strut and spar as much. Maybe depends on the M/F ratio which is probably impossible to pick in a store. When I had 6 there were 4 males and so the struggle for who was top dog went on constantly, very fun to watch.

Comment

Thank you all!
                        But this thread is a bit outdated - it's 55 gal planted now  
                        2 albino cory cats
                        4 ottos
                        10 cardinals            \
                        6 glowlight tetras     /  formed one school
                        3 pearl gouramis
                        1 gold angel ram

With "whisper 60" + "Aquaclear 70" and 160Watts of light

Comment

i want to see pics of this upgraded tank AK-71?????

Comment

fishlady, here is my new 55gal tank. Click it
                            Stopped working, it's in photo gallery too, looks darker than it is
                            HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

Comment

Working...
                            X