30g Brackish Paludarium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30g Brackish Paludarium

Last weekend I bought a 30g hex that I plan on turning into a brackish paludarium. The inhabitants will be 4 gobies (Gobiosoma bosc) a hermit crab and a marsh snail. At least so far that's what is going to live in there.

The gobies are known to live in salt marshes, either in a seagrass habitat or an oyster reef habitat. I plan to mix it up a bit, and have ordered some Spartina grass (emergent) and some Ruppia sp, which grows naturally in higher salinity brackish waters. I also have a good collection of barnacles, both from the HAS auction, my own collection, and FishRanch. The substrate will be Tidal Marine Substrate, which is a beige colored sand.

And that's where I stop knowing what I'm doing.  :)  Ideally, I would like to have a sand bottom planted with the Ruppia, with some sort of reef-like structure of barnacles (the gobies love them!), and a higher level above that for a partially submerged land area (maybe with a small cluster of barnacles) in which I will plant the Spartina. I am having a LOT more trouble actually putting this together than visualizing it. It's possible that I need more barnacles, because the amount that I have right now when I put them all together barely tops 5 inches, and in a 30g hex there's a lot more room to fill.

So, in keeping with the theme, I would love any suggestions. I am hoping that the land area can be atop the barnacle structure, maybe using some kind of plastic bowl? I'm also thinking, in order to raise the reef structure, of putting a large dead coral on the bottom (got it from my old work place). Anyways, this is where I get confused, and any layout ideas anyone might have would be greatly appreciated!

Here's some more pictures I took of the gobies, and one horrible one of the hermit crab. The snail is out of the water underneath the lid of the little plastic tank about 99% of the time, so I can't get a good picture of him yet.

All three in one little barnacle cluster:

One under an oyster shell (maybe I could make a structure out of oyster shells if I find more?):

Three in their respective favorite places:

And lastly, the hermit crab:
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: 30g Brackish Paludarium

Forgot a couple things. I will also have 6 olive nerite snails in there. And also, if anyone can find any info on light requirements for keeping spartina and ruppia in an aquarium, please tell me! I have been looking for weeks and can't find anything!

Thanks!

Comment

Where's the full frontal shot?

Will these guys crawl out the water to chill on land?
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Full frontal of the aquarium? Don't have one yet, haven't taken a picture. I'll take on this weekend.

The gobies will stay in the water, but the crab and snail will get out of the water.

Comment

Oh, these pictures are of their temporary homes. I'm still siliconing the barnacles and stuff together, so I haven't filled the tank because I don't want to get anything wet while the glue dries.  :)

Comment

Oh ok, I thought the pictures are of them in their new home.
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Wow, really? No suggestions at all??  :(

Comment

Have you considered a little mangrove root ?

Drive down I45 and just before you get to Galveston you will see salt grass marsh on both sides of the Hwy with access roads.   You might enjoy the truly natural setting complete with empty beer cans and with a little luck you may find some interesting additions for your tank..

Hope you have posted with the local saltwater group as I'm sure they know more than I do.
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

If you can find enough of those barnacles I would make a wall of them going up into the land area and maybe a tiny pump to pump water up to trickle throughout the land area.

Mangroves sounds like an awesome idea!

I am setting up a reef tank so if you plan on going on a collection trip to galveston during a weekend or something count me in! I have a fishing license so it could come in handy.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Also, Armand Bayou is brackish water on our safari last year I caught 3" shrimp, small flounders and croakers with a casting net.

Armand Bayou park is on Bay Area Drive where it crosses Red Bluff out around SH146.  It has parking, restrooms, boat ramp and fishing piers.
                    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Thanks, guys!

I have considered mangroves, but:
                      1) they grow pretty tall, being trees and all  :)
                      2) need "nutritious" substrate, which I don't want to mess with right now
                      3) need a lot of light
                      4) was really designing this around the gobies, and they're naturally from seagrass/oyster reef habitats

But it was a hard decision not to try the mangroves! And actually, the marshes along 45 are where I got my hermit crab and marsh snail! After I set up the tank, I'll assess what else I might be able to add, then a little safari might be in order!

And thanks for the info on Armand Bayou - didn't know that!

I'm thinking that's a good plan, ek, to make a sloping wall of barnacles. Good idea for the pump, I'll try that.

Now my only problem is finding more barnacles. OR...does anyone know if grocery stores sell oyster shells? Like, in bulk? Or know where I could get some? I could do an oyster reef surrounded by a wall of barnacles, or something to that effect.

Comment

If you take HWY 146 south, take a right just before you cross Dickinson Bayou - within a block you will come to Hilman's Seafood.   There is always a large pile of freshly shucked oyster shells out front and in the retail shop there is a lot of great local seafood.

ps and in the boatyard they scrape barnicals off the boats  :emtthumbs:

Comment

Wow, sounds like I have my plans for Saturday! Thanks, PhishPhreek!!

Comment

I think a mix of oyster shells and barnacles would look killer!
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Mzungu! I am experienced with keeping brackish aquariums, also freshwater and marine tanks. I have several links about propagating seagrasses. Here in some good info on Widgeongrass (Ruppia maritima).
                              If you have further questions, feel free to ask. Red Mangrove (Rhizophora mangle) is also and excellent choice. Like Ruppia, it will tolerate a wide range of salinity, from freshwater to full strength seawater.

Last edited by jmanrow; 11-20-2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X