Baby Endlers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Endlers!

So I bought about 14 endler's off Islander this past weekend and....

one of the females made a drop and I was able to save around 20 babies!!

So excited, I get to watch these little guys grow.  They are in a breeder box right now until I can get a filter for my 2.5 gallon to nurse them in.

Any suggestions to enhance their growth?  I keep the tank at a pretty high temp to help them grow some.. appr. 80F.

Re: Baby Endlers!

Sweet deal!

Post some pictures!

I would just do frequent water changes to keep the water clean, consistant feedings and just enjoy them!
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

The digestive process takes about 45 minutes so like eklikewhoa says frequent feedings of very little food each time will produce the most growth. Of coarse this tends to foul the water especially if you feed too much so the water changes are needed. Wow that was quick! It sounds like islander set you up pretty good.

max

Comment

live food - microworms or Baby brine shrimp 3 times per day will give you the best growth but clean water is a must
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

yeh... I'm overfiltering a good bit so i'm hoping that'll help....

Penguin 350 in a 30gallon tank.

thanks guys

If i can get clear pics, i will definately post em.

Comment

Over filtering isn't a substitute for water changes but it does help!
            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Howdy,

That is great news that you already have fry!  These endlers are hardy and if they are inside during the winter they do not need a heater; I but some outside last summer in tubs so know there water was above 80'.  You could safely remove the heater or turn it down some.

All excellent suggestions for food.  Ours were raised on a variety of foods like crushed flake food, shrimp pellets, floating pellet food, brine shrimp, daphania, and a mix of frozen minced liver, oatmeal baby food flakes, carrots and broccoli leaves.  Once the fry are a week old they will be much more active and eat alot more.  

If you put the fry in a 2.5 gallon tank I would not put and sand/gravel on the bottom because it makes it easier to siphon the bad stuff off the bottom.  The more water change outs you do probably the faster they will grow in a small tank.  Probably 2-3 times a week and at least once a week.  We like to put live plants like anacharis or java moss in with the fry because it helps keep the water clean, looks better and the fry feel more secure.  

Keep us posted and let HFB know if you have any questions.

Now that you are raising endlers you need to join Houstion Livebearer Association.  It is free http://hla.lisasfishtank.com/phpBB2/
              Later, ken

Comment

I see what he means you have joined the website but he doesn't have your membership application yet. You can donwload it off of the website (Introductions, Membership Applications, Membership Form) and just email it to him.

max

Comment

I'll see about it... I'll let ya'll know if I join or not.  Thank you for the help so far though.

Comment

You are welcome!

max

Comment

any updates on these endlers?
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

well i will say something too, its crucial to put the babies in a small tank, because allow them to find food much faster.
                        until they are big enough to find food anywhere.
                        see ya.

Comment

sorry... my main tank cracked and broke so I havn't been doing so much lately... There are maybe 10 or so left.. I decided to put them in with the 10g tank.  They seem pretty happy... about 3 months old so far but I have yet to see any color in them.

Comment

Working...
                          X