This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this sound like a Good Deal?

We're recently getting back into the hobby after about 6 years.  Things have changed a lot since then.  We have recently started off slow with a few 20g tanks and a 5g tank and are ready for a bigger tank.   This site has been a lot of help so far!

After shopping around the best deal we have found so far is:  at the store on 249 and Bammel, a Blue Ocean 100g with stand for $300.  The light is an Odyssea for $60 (normally $80 but discounted with the tank/stand).  They'll sell us an Eheim 2217 for $145 with it (though we found much better prices online.)

Is that a fair price for everything?  Is that tank decent quality?  Any known problems with it?  Warnings?  

Are there any better comparably sized tanks in that price range out there?

Any input and/or help will be greatly appreciated!

Hopefully this is the correct area to post this.

Re: Does this sound like a Good Deal?

Welcome back to the hobby and welcome to HFB!

Kevin is a good guy and will work with you on prices but I think that might be fair for a LFS. If you are looking for traditional tanks also check out inwood tropical fish on antoine

Inwood Aquarium
    8244 Antoine Dr.
    Houston, TX 77088
    (281) 820-0329

Here's a link to other places......  
    HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

Do you live near Kevin's place? I'm right down the street from him and go and shoot the **** with him now and then, really nice guy!
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Sounds like a fair price.  I would call around and see if anyone has something comparable and offer you a better deal.  Alot of places will work with you.

Do you have your mind set on a new setup?  I you checkout the papers and http://houston.craigslist.org, they have some nice deals from individuals.

Raul
      Raul
      PokerFace

Comment

List of all international craigslist.org online classifieds sites
        Raul
        PokerFace

Comment

If it is what you want and you have the money, who cares what someone else thinks.... no matter how good a deal you think you are getting, there will always be someone who knows of a place that had a better deal, of course, this will be after you have bought yours.
          There will always be some kind of trade off, some of the best priced units don't come with 5 year warranties, some come with no warranty at all, if you don't have a leak you got a good deal, if you get a leak the cheap ones are just that... cheap... on the other hand I have bought the expensive tanks and got leaks too, they gave me a new tank, but I still had to deal with the mess.
          Only you can decide if this is a good deal for you....
          GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

Thanks for all the info so far.

While we may think it is a good deal, and we do, we've been out of it long enough to know when to ask those who are more current what they think.  If folks came on here and said that that particular tank is known to have problems and it wouldn't matter if they were giving it away then we would look elsewhere.  So, it's better to ask than not to and find out the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by eklikewhoa";p="
              Welcome back to the hobby and welcome to HFB!

Kevin is a good guy and will work with you on prices but I think that might be fair for a LFS. If you are looking for traditional tanks also check out inwood tropical fish on antoine

Inwood Aquarium
              8244 Antoine Dr.
              Houston, TX 77088
              (281) 820-0329

Here's a link to other places......  
              HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

Do you live near Kevin's place? I'm right down the street from him and go and shoot the **** with him now and then, really nice guy!
              We live more out in the Cypress area but like his store a lot and will be buying our tank there and when ready, fish.  thanks for your post!

Comment

True, true.  :)

I'm not familiar with that particular brand of tank, but a 100g with a stand for $300 sounds pretty reasonable. I'm assuming the light is a power compact? If so, that's a great price. As for the eheim...it's always hard for me to look around at the prices online and then compare them to the LFS! But once you figure in tax and shipping costs, it's not that much of a difference (just make sure it comes with media - I found out the hard way how expensive that stuff is!). So I say go for it!  
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                X