Modifying a Light Strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying a Light Strip

Here the scenerio...I have a 48" light strip, which has (for lack of a better term) a relay wheel switch on it. This switch is located roughly in the middle of the light cord, and you have to roll the "wheel" w/ your thumb to click the light on/off. Well, I think this switch may have a short b/c when the wheel is rolled to the "on" position the light flashes but only stays on for less than a nanosecond.

So I'm wondering if I splice the electrical cord (basically cut the wheel switch completely off the cord) could I then reconnect the wires so that the light would work? Any ideas on how I can get this light strip to work?

FYI: The light strip was exposed to the elements for about a month in the shed, so I'm thinking the inners of the wheel switch have just been corroded. There a small screw on the side of it, but it's so rusted that it crumbles when I try to turn it.

Re: Modifying a Light Strip

Does the switch have a screw to remove the switch?  You can purchase replacement switches at Home Depot or Lowes if it's just the switch.  I've replaced them on lamps before and if I can do it, surely you can.  I'm not an electrifying person  
    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

It has a phillips head screw  w/ a small nut on it. But the screw is past rusty, so it crumbles when I try to loosen it.

Comment

Since the switch is wasted anyway you could try to pry it open if the screw falls apart.

Comment

If you replace the switch you will have to do some re-wiring anyway, so I wouldn't worry about the rusty screw. You could just cut the cord on each side and take that to a hardware store to get a replacement.

Comment

If I remember correctly the electric line going through the swich is solid on each side, or at least one side with the roller piece pushing into one side of the line.  If that's the case cutting the line on both sides of the current switch may not be such a good idea.  You'll be able to tell more when you get it open.  The switches are pretty light weight and won't put up much of a battle with a screwdriver.

Comment

Does it have a starter on it?

Comment

the switch is easily replaced if you find something similar or you could try and fix the connection.

i have one and its doing the same thing but i cleaned it up some and if you get it right it works.
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                X