This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wtb: freshwater shrimp

Looking for some variety so I can spice up my plant tank.  I'd really like to get some bumble bee shrimp (the little black and white banded ones), crystal reds (like the bees only red/white), tiger (narrow stripes at the edges of their segments), or just about anything besides ghosts.  I bought some red cherries online, so that's something at least to add color along with cleanup (if they make it through shipping that is…).  

If anyone has any of those (or other interesting ones) for sale or knows of a shop that has them, could you please let me know!
    The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
    Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Re: wtb: freshwater shrimp

I have bought 4 algea eating shrimp from Aquarium World. When I got them home I looked them up and they are Neocaridina sp. - crystal blue. They are about an inch long and growing. Very busy litlle guys constantly cleaning. I think they have OCD!

Comment

Great!!

Are they actually blue??  Where is Aquarium World - happen to have their number?  I can ring them and see if they have more, or any others.

If you have a pic of them could you send it to me or post it or something?

Thanks!!

Comment

i think mike over at sunny's has some wood shrimp, they look like they have fans up front.

his info is in the Website Announcements section.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yeah, woods have the fans (I call them feather-duster fingers).  I've got 3 african fans (vampire shrimp) (from fish-r-us) and 2 singapore woods (from an online store).  They're all pretty big and 2 of the vampires just moulted so they're still growing.  That's why I'm look for some smaller ones with more CoLoR!!  The 5 I have really need to be moved to a larger tank (on this weekend's agenda).
          I called Sunny's yesterday and they told me they didn't carry any freshwater shrimp at all.    

Thanks for the tip though!

Comment

Hey spot,

Go to aquariumworld.net for their address and phone number.

My shrimp are a pale blue, but it seems like the more they moult they less color they have, but you can still see it.

Here are a couple photos - not too good, though.

Comment

Well I just got off the phone with them, all they have are the Amano shrimp  :(  .  They're great algae eaters, but not very colorful.  They said they didn't have any of the little blue ones, but she was real nice and took my name/number and said she'd call if she saw something become available.

Thanks again for the tip - it was worth a shot.

Comment

Well, Spot, I wouldn't be too discouraged. When I bought my first 2 from there the girl said she didn't have a clue what they were - just algae eating shrimp. After looking at them very closely I found out what they were. The next 2 I got looked the same just a bit paler.

Now, you have to know that these are the same females that told me I was buying "flying foxes" which turned out to be false siamensis. She also told me that 2 would be great for my 55g. but after investigating you should never have 2 - they get agressive towards each other.

So, when I go out there (I live near by) I will look and if I see the same ones I have I'll let you know.

BTW - would you like a fake flying fox? I have one that needs a new home! =)

Comment

Prices in the LFS' are crazy! $10 or more for Atyopsis Mol. (wood shrimp or fan shrinp)!!! I love to support my LFS, but I am not paying that.

There are many good online retailers of shrimps. Some shrimps are easy to breed and others are almost impossible. Basically freshwater shrimps fall in two groups accordingly.

Bamboos or wood, and Amano shrimp are tough to breed. But they are easy to import, and they ship well. I would be looking at $4 each as a good price on these.

Neocaridina or caridina species breed like naughty monkeys. $2.50 a a shrimp is about as much as i would pay for these. Literally you can buy 25 and have 50 in 6 months without doing anything!
                  Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Village Tropical Fish use to carry decent grade bee shrimp and crystal red shrimp a few months ago.  I haven't seen them carry any since.  You can call and ask them if they plan on getting any more.  

FishLand apparently carries bumble bee shrimp and crystal red shrimp, but they are also out of stock when I went Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by daisymac";p="
                      I have bought 4 algea eating shrimp from Aquarium World. When I got them home I looked them up and they are Neocaridina sp. - crystal blue. They are about an inch long and growing. Very busy litlle guys constantly cleaning. I think they have OCD!
                      Are you sure those are Neocardina sp.?  They look more like Amano shrimp (Caridina japonica) from the shape of their head and body.

Comment

Clover - Now I'm not sure of anything! They are a blue tint, but get paler as they get larger. Originally the photos I saw of amanos looked more on the brow side, but afer looking through many websites I have seen some that have the blue tint. Hmmm . . . Thye are getting larger. I have one juvie that is about 3/4" but the others are a bit over an inch.

Comment

I agree that they look like amanos. Do they have the broken red lines down their sides (spots and dashes)? Do they have the yellow/gold line down the middle of their backs? Amano shrimp also have the common name of Algae Eating Shrimp...common names - what a pain!! (But so much easier to pronounce!   )

Ellen

Comment

Originally posted by Spot86t";p="
                            Yeah, woods have the fans (I call them feather-duster fingers).  I've got 3 african fans (vampire shrimp) (from fish-r-us) and 2 singapore woods (from an online store).  They're all pretty big and 2 of the vampires just moulted so they're still growing.  That's why I'm look for some smaller ones with more CoLoR!!  The 5 I have really need to be moved to a larger tank (on this weekend's agenda).
                            I called Sunny's yesterday and they told me they didn't carry any freshwater shrimp at all.    

Thanks for the tip though!

who did you speak to? i was there last friday and they had a bunch of them.
                            700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Ellen - the spots on their sides look like black periods, or small dashes. The strip down the back looks like a pale yellow, almost a white color. There is no red on them anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X