This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cardinal tetras

Does anyone have any babies cardinal tetras they could sell for a reasonable price.  I would like buy about 30 or 40.
    180 gallon RR wild discus, harlequins, congos, rainbow, pleco, cardinals, rummynose, rcs, and amanos.  2260 eheim pressurize co2 4x54 tek lights

Re: cardinal tetras

You wont find to many people who breed tetras, especially cardinals. The demands and requirements to breed these fish far exceed their market value and for that reason they are rarely bred in captivity. Most tetras eggs are photo sensitive, which means they must be reared in a dark tank. A porous substrate which can protect the eggs from the parents is a must, usually peat covered with a screen. When fry, they are so small that they eat only microscopic foods at worst and powdered egg yolk at best. Add to all that a very low Ph requirement, which most people unless using RO can't maintain, and you get the idea. It all adds up to ALOT of work for a fish which RETAILS for $2.00 and wholesales for closer to .30.
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

They are one of the more reasonably priced fish to begin with.  It's not uncommon to find them at 10 for $10 or $15.

Comment

Village tropical has beautiful cardinals.

Comment

10 for $10 where can i get that deal at, and oh yeah can you show me where is the wholesale distributor.  I bought mine for 10 for $22.
          180 gallon RR wild discus, harlequins, congos, rainbow, pleco, cardinals, rummynose, rcs, and amanos.  2260 eheim pressurize co2 4x54 tek lights

Comment

Call Village - I think they had a special deal on mass quantities of the cardinals . . . either 10 for 10 or 10 for 15.

Comment

I mentioned wholesale pricing because that is the index breeders use to determine fish value. It is all well and good to know that a fish retails for $12.00, but it's another thing when the store will only buy them for $3.00.
              Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Originally posted by supaflyz";p="
                10 for $10 where can i get that deal at...
                Not that long ago Tropical Fish Depot had them somewhere around that price at those quantities because I distinctly remember being impressed by the fact that they were around $1 per fish (or maybe it was 20 for $20.)  My point is though is that they are one of the more inexpensive fish already so posting to ask for "good deal" for them is sort of moot.

Comment

well I didnt know you can get them for that cheap, i bought 20 for 45.

Comment

I've seen them for $20 for 15 but that's the least expensive I've found.  The cardinals seem to be a little more expensive than neons.  The last ones I got were very nice, bright with good lines and a decent size.  Only lost one or two to the hungry Angels.  Given the color they add to a tank and their schooling characteristics $20 for 15 is a good price.
                    Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Originally posted by szidlon";p="
                      I've seen them for $20 for 15 but that's the least expensive I've found.  The cardinals seem to be a little more expensive than neons.  The last ones I got were very nice, bright with good lines and a decent size.
                      Ooh....  :?   Now that I think about it maybe they were Neons.  I can't remember for sure now.  Anyway, both are very affordable fish and a lot of the LFS will offer discounts on large purchases.

Comment

You might want to check out this thread:

Looks like Dan is selling them for $1 a piece if you buy a minimum of 50.

Karen
                        Karen

Comment

thank goodness I found someone that sold me 1 for 1.25.  I had just bought 40 more,  The first 20 were from village tropical.  I wish I had know on the discount at that time and would of ask him.  I must admit his fish are more healthy because all 20 didnt died.  The fish I just bought 5 died out of the 40 something I couldnt really count them all because they swam to fast.  I guess 5 out of 40 something for cardinal is pretty good.

Comment

Oh my i didnt know Dan had cardinals to.  I only bought discus from him, I bought 10 of them.  THey was doing well some died, but like 6 were left, until I turn the C02 on to high.

Comment

Working...
                            X