Dec. Meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dec. Meeting

The Dec. meeting will be on the 1st at 7PM. I look forward to seeing everyone then.
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Re: Dec. Meeting

A reminder that the meeting is this Friday. It looks like we will be experimenting with making a moss wall at the meeting this time. Should be fun, despite the cold.
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

I dont get it. Whats a moss wall?

Does anybody coming to the meeting breed Discus?

chris

Comment

A moss wall is usually moss grown on a background or inside something like screen material and attached to the back or sides of the aquarium.

Here's a link to some additional info:

Moss Wall

I've never tried it, I have a difficult time growing moss, believe it or not.
        Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

If Anyone interested in trying out a moss wall would kindly bring the inside length/height of their fish tank I would greatly appreciate it =)

ps. if you have a deep substrate, the height should only go 1/2 an inch into the substrate from the top of the water level.
          Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
          Co-President of CAK

Comment

Originally posted by szidlon";p="
            A moss wall is usually moss grown on a background or inside something like screen material and attached to the back or sides of the aquarium.

Here's a link to some additional info:

Moss Wall

I've never tried it, I have a difficult time growing moss, believe it or not.
            What kind of lighting/ferts do you use?

I'm new to plants but it seems that moss will grow in just about any condition even rough ones, but they will just grow slower is all.

David Seratt
            Co-President of CAK

Comment

I have low light.  I have a deep tank 105 gallon high (28 inches) with 4x65 compact flourscents.  I think my main problem has been the temperature of the tank.  It's my discus tank and it stays about 86 degrees.  I may try moss again in my Angel tank and see what happens at a lower temperature.

Comment

Have you ever tried Java Moss? I read somewhere that was supposed to do well up to 85ish but I've never tried it hands on to see, either way in this case I say you have nothing to lose and may as well give it a shot =)

David Seratt
                Co-President of CAK

Comment

moss deffinately likes it cooler. I find that mine grows quicker and fuller at about 74-76. The good news, you can grow moss with a flashlight!

Comment

It was Java moss I was unsuccessful with.  The plants I do have in there are doing pretty good.  I've managed to keep Swords, Vals and Rotala Indica with some success.  I do have to trim the Vals and Rotala weekly but I'm just planting the Rotala cuttings for now.  I don't know how old the CF bulbs are as I bought it used but my guess is replacing them would increase my light considerably.  My African tank only has varieties of Anubius and one big chunk of Bolbitas.  

Disclaimer:  Spelling of plant names may/probably will be incorrect  :wink:

Comment

to think i just got rid of a giant clump of moss  :?
                      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Uhm, is there a heater where the meeting will be?  It's freezing outside.

To clarify, I don't mean an aquarium heater - I'm talking a warm toasty people heater...
                        The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                        Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

What? Do you think I live in hillbilly hell or something?
                          I heard tell of this new fangled invention called fahr, fehr, fire, sumn like that, anyway, I plan on tryin out that high falutin contraption and seeing if it's all it's cracked up to be. Who knows, it may even prove usefull for cooking and warming my monthly bath water.

Comment

Hah!  

C'mon dooood, I KNOW where you live.  It may not be hillbilly hell (that's where I grew up in Eastern Kentucky!), but its smack dab in the middle of redneck bubba land.  I know this cause I live there too!  I've even got the junk cars in the yard to prove it!

I just thought I remembered someone saying you had a garage/fishroom and I was never fortunate enough myself to have a heated garage...

Hope to see you Friday!
                            The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
                            Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

im gonna try and make this meet, wanna check out the fish room.

can a lone asian come?

8)
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X