Sunny's Fish & Pets, Name and Location Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sunny's Fish & Pets, Name and Location Change

OK, lemme correct my statement, I would never buy a fish I knew was a hybrid. I see a parrot, I see a deformed fish. Same for flowerhorns. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't platies and swordfish come from the same area? Don't they naturally hybridize? Anywho, thanks for correcting me, now I know that platies and bettas are hybrids, and now, unfortunately, I think less of them...I've never cared much for guppies, they're usually too frail and a bit too spasmatic for my taste...

BTW I love wild swordfish and have been thinking about trying to get my hands on some.

This is a very controversial subject, you can google hybrid fish, livebearer, dog, etc. and you will find pages and pages of people discussing this very thing. I think we need to get back on topic here and start a new thread to discuss this.  

I really like the "The Fish Box" suggestion!

Ellen

Comment

when i see a parrot fish im feel bad for it, mouth never closes and back hunched on purpose. flowerhorns are pretty in their own way but i dont really care for them.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I'm not real familliar with angelfish, but I do know that hybrid rainbowfish have been found in the wild in Australia and New Guinea. Gerald Allen, the world's best known expert on rainbowfish has documented this phenomena. Granted, these crossbred fish are rare in the wild, but they do exist.

My personal feeling on the subject is that crossbreeding is great as long as it does not negativly affect the health and quality of life for the fish. Blood parrot cichlids are an example of crossbreeding that I strongly disagree with. Although the fish do thrive in the aquarium, they have deformed spines and lack the ability to close their mouths. Many are born without tails. If any other type of fish were born with any of these deformities it would most likely be humanly euthanized.
        Bacteria: the only culture some people have

Comment

I think we are confusing hybrids with cross breds. There is a distinct and definable difference here. Hybredising fish is an accepted and widely practiced breeder function. Without Hybreds there would be no Blue Jacks, no lyre tail guppies, no red empress alo., for that matter, there would be no fancy koi nor any other "ornamental" fish that we all seem to accept as natural and something to be expected. Cross breeding is the crossing of one species with another to obtain an abomination. This is nothing new, it has been practiced for centuries. Take the common Mule, a sterile cross between a horse and a donkey. If there is a way for man to pervert nature, we will by all means make the attempt. Do I think this is right? No, not exactly, but then who am I? I am just a consumer who on moral grounds alone would never own a Flowerhorn, Parrot, or any fish which has been dyed, injected, or intentionally deformed in any way. By intentionally deformed I mean clipping of fins, overcrowding to cause dwarfism, that sort of thing and not the practice of selective breeding for dormant traits, as is the practice when line breeding for a desired trait.
          Anyway, thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
          Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

well, apparently the guys at village agree with you Scott, they have never stocked flowerhorns  :evil:

how are they intentionally deformed anyway, the nuchal hump?

Comment

Well, as you kow, the exact lineage of the  Flowerhorn is a big secret, but it is openly admitted to being a man made species. As such, I can honestly say that this is one of the biggies on my list of fish I will never own. While fish can and sometimes do interbreed in the wild, the results are more often than not short lived and sterile. With the man made species, we have long lived, often highly deformed, and not always sterile by products. Granted, they are fascinating creatures to behold, but then again, a chicken crossed with a bear would be fascinating as well. I'm not so sure either is a very good idea. For me anyway, this is more a morality issue than anything else. Just because we "can", does that mean we "should"?
              Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

I bought a female flowerhorn from Mike a few weeks ago and she is an awesome fish.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anything immoral about it.

Comment

one of the things about what is immoral or moral in this country is that we get to choose for ourselves what our standard of morality will be. I stated in an earlier post that I would not tell other folks what to do, I know what I will do, it is for them to decide for themselves what their actions will be. I today do not see any movie that has Jane Fonda in it, I will not listen to the dixie chicks, I figure that discrtionary spending is just that, I spend my "extra" money on what I enjoy. I do not ask for others to follow my lead, I set my own standards, they have to live with thiers. I can live with that.
                  GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

Mike,

I think a good store name would be "Fins and Fangs"
                    380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                    300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                    180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                    150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

Originally posted by Obed";p="
                      one of the things about what is immoral or moral in this country is that we get to choose for ourselves what our standard of morality will be. I stated in an earlier post that I would not tell other folks what to do, I know what I will do, it is for them to decide for themselves what their actions will be. I today do not see any movie that has Jane Fonda in it, I will not listen to the dixie chicks, I figure that discrtionary spending is just that, I spend my "extra" money on what I enjoy. I do not ask for others to follow my lead, I set my own standards, they have to live with thiers. I can live with that.
                      8) so what do you think about flowerhorns?

Comment

I would not have a flowerhorn or parrot fish. It is not a moral thing. When it comes to morals, I borrow a line from a movie, I know two things about God, there is one,and I am not him.
                        GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

I also keep 2 flowerhorns. I personally think they are beautiful fish. Ours seem to be "normal" looking, nice colors, fins and eyes in good shape, healthy appetites.  They look like cichlids.

I do not like the parrots though. Those fish DO look deformed and to me, they all seem to look like they have a hard time swimming.  I wouldn't keep them simply because I just don't like they way they look. Even if they were a "real" species of fish you would find in the wild.

Over the years a lot of species of fish have been manipulated in some way....the different colorations and patterns on discus...well in the wild they do NOT look like that. They can't. Easy pickings for predators.  

To each his own really...everyone has their opinions on this and that's fine with me.

Comment

count me in on volunteering. I work at DHL right down the street so could help out after work if needed. Just pm me when you may need some help.
                            oh that........ thats just my 300 gallon fish tank, nothing fancy.

Comment

What's wrong with Sunny's Fish & Pets for a name???

I like it.

Where is the new location?

Comment

So has Sunny's moved and if so what is the new name and location?
                                58G Malawis
                                10G planted

Comment

Working...
                                X