Sunny's Fish & Pets, Name and Location Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sunny's Fish & Pets, Name and Location Change

The last 2 fish stores that have moved (here on the south side) have gone out of business soon there after.   One because he didn't have enough parking on weekends, the other because he had no signs and customers could not find him.   It would be nice to move in a nice orderly procedure but remember you can't pay the bills if you don't make any sales.  It might be better to open the new shop beore you close the old one.   Take care, we'ld hate to loose you.

As far as names go you could always use "PHAT PHISH PLACE"  :P
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I like the Bayou City Aquatics name!!  

Ellen

Comment

The move location will be somewhere in the same area as the old location... and i will be opening both locations for the 2 months of december and january.. i will be planning a 2 stage where i move all the fish to half of the system. move the other half of the system to the new store. then move the fish, then the other half of the system... thanks for everything guys... scott it is all your fault !!!
        Resident BUM !!!

Comment

+1 for moving to atascocita.

Sunny's.. this is the fish store I was told about after I bought my fish tank recently, the guy says your the only place he shops at. He told me where your shop was but I had lost that information, looks like I can stop by now.
          Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
          Co-President of CAK

Comment

Hey how about THE FISH BOX without Houston !

Comment

[quote="MikeWhoTruong";p="7317"] And also, after thoughtful consideration, the new store WILL NOT carry genetically altered fish, dyed or painted fish, but we will be carrying altered fish done through cross breeding. i believe its more natural to get differnt variety and colors without paint or dye... feel free to comment on that decision as it is not firm.

I hope the dicision becomes a firm one. When I am in an lfs and see something like that, I leave. I think that the practice hurts the hobby. It is a personal thing with me, but I will not buy from or sell to, a store that practices that kind of business.
              I don't get involved in bad mouthing the folks who do that, I realize it is a business decision for them, they are trying to make money and stay in business, but I think that long term it is detrimental to promoting the growth of the hobby. I think it promotes failure for new aquarists and leads to the one tank for one year syndrome. I believe that if folks new to the hobby got good service and good advice from their lfs, more folks would stay in the hobby, way too many have one tank for about a year and it winds up in a garage sale. I had heard lots of good things about your store and your service, I believe from what I had heard that you were a dedicated hobbiest yourself. Selling quality, healthy fish coupled with sound advice will do much more (IMO) for long term success for both your business and the hobby.
              GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

the new store WILL NOT carry genetically altered fish, dyed or painted fish,

THE DECISION ABOVE IS FIRM, the cross breeding is whats not firm, sorry for the misunderstanding.

but we will be carrying altered fish done through cross breeding. i believe its more natural to get differnt variety and colors without paint or dye... feel free to comment on that decision as it is not firm.
                Resident BUM !!!

Comment

cross breeding happens by themselves sometimes so i would consider it more natural or natural enough.

if anyone wants to b!t@h about crossbreeding not being natural stop taking animals out of their enviroment and stop keeping fish period. its not natural for a fish that was limited by how it wanted to go to be placed in a glass/acrylic cage with crap placed all over inside it with other fish they probably would have never seen in their natural life.

crossbreed away.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Mike if you need help call me or pm me. I will help with both moves as long as I have enough notice.

Comment

Most of the angelfish I sell would not be found in the natural habitat. There are lots of reasons for that, natural selection of mates, predation are two. In the wild you would never see a GM/g- S/S (KOI) while the genetics to have one are natural in wild fish, the bright orange would attract predators and the fish could not hide in its natural surrounding. You would never see a superviel tail angel for the same reason, the long flowing fins would slow it down and it would be easy for preditors to catch. Most of the varieties of angels other than a +/+ silver standard would not exist in the wild.
                      That said all the domestically raised angels are the results of selective breeding of pre-exicting genes, and look at all the wonderful colors and fin types that are available and because the genes are what they are, if conditions were right, these fish could exist in the wild, they can reproduce in kind.
                      I am not a TRUE conservationist and I realize if there were not a market for these fish, they would not sell and lfs would not carry them. ( there is a market for drugs and prostitutes but I don't want either in my neighborhood)  A good breeder can get variety in colors with out cross breeding, it does take time and good selection, but it is possible.
                      eklikewhoa's statement that crossbreeding happens naturally, is not really correct. while it is possible, it is not any more likely than angels in the wild producing the kinds of fish we have been able to produce domestically. The odds are really against it. I have no problem with fish that are able to reproduce in kind, but draw the line there. There are good reasons why the ACA does not allow hybrids in their shows and why FOTAS follows the same guide lines. While this practice is possible and obviously will have some emotional if not well thought out responses from some, the practice leaves  me with some ethical questions. I do not pretend to tell others what to do, and would not have commented, but you asked for opinions, so I offered mine. I wish you success with your store no matter what your decision is.
                      GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

Obed, That was a well thought out statement.  Problem is eklikewhoa's didn't state crossbreeding happens naturally.  

He stated "cross breeding happens by themselves sometimes so i would consider it more natural or natural enough."  

I think he meant that fish might cross breed with another fish in a contained or controlled enviroment, like a aquarium.  Whether this is cross breeding is desired by design or not, it is more natural that gene splicing.

One example listed here before was a convict breeding with another fish, I don't remember which one though...oh well.  

Raul
                        Raul
                        PokerFace

Comment

My line of thinking goes along the same lines as Obed's.

I would never buy a hybrid, I would never let a hybrid spawn live. I do like critters that are bred for their colors (angels, platties, the different shrimp, etc.) but I don't like the hybrids. I feel that I wouldn't keep convicts with something they're going to try to breed with, or guppies, or any of the other indiscriminate fish. BUT I'm not going to judge a fishstore for selling them or people for breeding them. Lots of people like parrotfish and flowerhorns, etc. but I personally don't care for them. I do boycott places that sell dyed or painted fish, but definately don't boycott places that sell hybrids.

Ellen

Comment

Selective breeding to produce domestic animals more sutable to our use is a historical tradition.  Most of these animals if released in the wild would not survive.   But they are not produced to live in the wild.  Breeders chose to produce fancy fish because customers prefer them.  If you want to work with endangered species and maintain the wild stock, more power to you.   I like my maragold platties, cobra guppies and Red bettas.   My dogs have had cropped ears and docked tails and been trained to hunt.   I hate to think how much I have spent on vet bills for infected tails and ears after my Tomcat went out prowling.   I think that keeping long haired pets in the Houston heat & humidity is stupid,  but if you like animals that shed hair all over the furniture and you clothes then go for it.  If I lived in snow country, I'd feel differently.   Do what's right for you and have faith that others will eventually do the same.
                            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Ellen
                              The colorful platties you see are hybreds.
                              The bright & beautiful bettas were developed from hybreds.
                              Even the common guppy is more than likely a hybred that years and years of selective breeding managed to fix into a new beautiful color patern.

Comment

i agree to some extent with your post obed.

but think about this, is it natural for you to cage your angels? is it natural to "select" who the mates of your breeding pair?

im open minded about a lot of things and understand what makes everyone different is partly that we all have different views/opinions. also makes for good conversation
                                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                                X