We got a mbu puffer....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We got a mbu puffer....

He is a cute little guy. We call him Mr. Lovegrove.

Ive been reading some about them online...but does anyone here actually own one? I read they need like snails to eat, since they eat all of it and the hard shells are good for wearing their teeth down. I just can't find anyone who sells snails.

He's been eating frozen shrimp we got at the grocery store, but I know he needs more nutrition than that.

Any suggestions??

Re: We got a mbu puffer....

I've heard they will tear apart a crawdad if hungry.

Id get a small 2.5 or 10 gallon tank and put some vegitables in it, get some snails from any petco or petsmart for free.. let them go in the lil tank and watch them multiply. I find they really like vacation feeders too (the snails)

you could try a still frozen block of blood worms.

Also, what size tank do you have them in?  
    Did you buy him at Fish R Us?
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
    n

Comment

I bet the vacation feeders are good for the snails, they would definately add some hardness to the water for their shells... Do you have any pictures of yours yet?  

Ellen

Comment

I don't have a mbu but I do have a green spotted puffer. I feed krill,snails, bloodworms, and rarely beefheart. It will not eat any flakes.  I get my snails off of ebay or aquabid.

Comment

If you need snails, I've got PLENTY! I'm sure you can easily find some around here, from pet stores or people.  :)

Congrats on getting him! Have any pictures?
          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Well he is still eating the frozen shrimp we got at Krogers. We bought 2 snails at petsmart last night, but I think they are too large for him. He tried taking a bite out of one though. We also got 3 ghost shrimp. This morning I couldnt find any of them, so I dont know if they got eaten or not.

Ill take a picture of him tonight, when I turn the lights back on. He really is a cutie.

He's in a 30 gallon tank right now...water temp is about 80-81. I read they like caves so we put in a large open mouthed skull in there and he's in there frequently.

Ill try some frozen bloodworms too...I have plenty of that since I feed them to my discus.

Thanks everyone...Ill get a pic of him up soon!

Comment

ask petsmart to pull some nuisance snails out of some of the tanks. they should have plenty
              "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
              n

Comment

Working...
              X