Live food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live food

I was curios on what live foods people are using.
    I am collecting mosquito larvae- for all fish
    Small earthworms- cories and angels
    Phishphreek has given me some daphina that I raise and have really taken off in a 5gl and harvest every other day- angels
    Baby brine shrimp- baby fish (I feed decapsulated while waiting for new batch)
    In the past Phishphreek gave me some vinegar eels that I lost when reorganizing my room: those did good but I never figured out how to harvest them.

I bring this up because earth worms are really hard to get the right size and I was wondering if there was an easy alterative. I heard of white worms and grindel worms and was wondering if anyone had any experience with those.

My friend has an Oscar about medium size that he feeds anything that's alive to. Worms, feeder fish, shrimp, crickets, mosquito larva, grubs, lizards, spiders, cockroaches, grasshoppers, frogs, any bugs, and one time a 1 inch perch from his pond.

There is also this article that says if you age brine shrimp eggs for a year unopened they all turn to 100% hatch rate. Not shur if it is true, I will find it.

Mark
    Yes, I raise it.
    0%
    Yes, I purchase it.
    0%
    No.
    0%
    No, but I would like to try.
    0%

Re: Live food

I feed my frontosa's convict fry and when I had the arowana I fed it red meal worms.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I loved feeding mosquito larvae, but they spray in the woodlands so I don't get any here. they were my dwarf puffers favorite!
      probably no way i can raise my own..
      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
      n

Comment

i take that back. they are raised all the time.  http://www.thekrib.com/Food/mosquito.html

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
        n

Comment

California Black Worms
          Adult Brine Shrimp
          Mosquetos
          Daphnia
          Baby Brine shrimp
          Microworms
          Vinegar Eels
          infusoria
          paramecium
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

this is about the brine shrimp.

Im sorry it was 5 years you have to keep the brine shrimp for 100% hatch rate. How big are red meal worms? I want to try culturing some kind of worm for the cories.
            mark

Comment

They are pretty big, google it.

We use to buy buy it by the thousands and just throw them in the fridge with some oatmeal and they would somewhat hibernate. They were about an inch-inch and a half and about thick as airline tubing.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Those are to big then; but if anyone has expierianse with white or grindel worms I would like to hear about it.

Comment

anyone have a snail tank for their puffers?  I picked a few Nuisance snails from petsmart and have them in a bucket outside (also their for mosquito larvae) hopefully i'll have enough to feed my little dwarf puffer and discus when I get my water right for them.
                  n

Comment

sweet. I checked my bucket today and I found my snails had put egg sacks on the side of the bucket. I also saw a bunch of new mosquito larve!  I never would have guessed 'd be excited to find a bunch of mosquitos in my back yard.
                    n

Comment

This will happen. make shur you harvest the mosquitos before they hatch.

Comment

This will happen. make shur you harvest the mosquitos before they hatch.

Comment

The grindle worms are cultured a lot like microworms and the problem is the same. Eventually the knat or fly maggots take over. If I get a chance I will try again with no holes in my air tight conatiner and just open it to feed. Knats manage to get through polyester quilt batting. Its great food, I just can't get enough of it and keep the maggots out. Artemia are my favorite in the winter.

There is a live food discussion at the upcoming HAS meeting.

max

Comment

Ive researched it some and think I would like to try to culture some Californian black worms. But I dont want to pay $10 shipping on a $5 culture of worms so if anyone has some I would like to try some.
                            Mark

Comment

Is there a special purpose in the live food? I ask because, I don't feed my fish live anything,well unless a bug flies in the tank or a spider falls in. My fish are colorful and they breed. I was once told that my frontosa would not breed without live food, that was bogus information. I have had my frontosa since a fry w/egg and he has never had live food and the pair breed. Is live food cheaper?

Comment

Working...
                              X