This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WTB: 75 to 180 gallon tank w/stand

Leak checking the tank right now. I am still amazed at it's size.
    Smokin_Cache
    Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
    Lets see what the imagination fruits.
    Check out my last tank

Comment

OK Leak check complete!! Now I have a big problem. Under gravel filter or not? I am not a fan of UGFs. The Ehiem is 2228 for a tank up 150g but it doesn't look to be enough for the tank. I would like to set this tank up with a sump, but I am not sure how the siphon sytems work? Any Opinions?
      Smokin_Cache
      Check out my last tank

Comment

I'm not familiar with sumps myself.  But, I do know I have an Eheim Classic 2215 that is rated for about 100 gallons in my 75 galllon and it didn't keep the water clear enough for me so I added a Penguin 350 HOT which cleared it up nicely.  Keep in my mind, my tank is overstocked so it really needed more filtration in the first place.  I'm sure there's someone here that can give you guidance on a sump.  There are several breeders that post often.
        Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

The siphon system is easy enough. Does the tank have internal overflows? If not, you'll just need a hang-on overflow box with a tube that leads to the sump, then a return pump. Personally, when I had one, I was always worried about my overflow getting clogged and flooding my wood floor(insert angry wife here), so I got rid of it and I sleep much better at night. It can also get pretty loud, but that can be overcome with a durso pipe setup. If you decide you want to do the sump, we can get into more detail.

Comment

I used one for a while and it lost a gallon a day due to evaporation and at 1.5 gallons the overflow stoped working.... what a pain to restart the syphon especially since I located it in the middle of the back against the wall....................

now if you can add a float valve to automatically maintain the water level you might actually enjoy the thing.
            'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Smokin when you get a chance stop by my place & I can show you how mine works.
              I only refill the sump when I do a water change about once a week.

Walter
              Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
              Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
              Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

That sounds great!! The tank is not drilled for overflows. Also there is a sticker under the bottom that says DO NOT DRILL Tempered Glass. Is this just the bottom or the sides too? Does anyone locally drill tanks? I know if anyway possible I want to go with the sump because I don't want to top the tank every day.

Walter are you busy tomorrow? I really want to check out the Discus also. I have never seen one face to face.

I bought some of those 5 in 1 test strips tonight. I checked the water that has been in the tank all day and was shocked. in fact I am concern the strips are junk.

PH 8.4+ appeared to be off scale
                Alkalinity 80 - 120ppm
                hardness 120ppm
                Nitrite 1ppm
                nitrate 0 - 20ppm

Deer Park water was so much better.

Ph was always 7.6 - 7.8
                Smokin_Cache
                Check out my last tank

Comment

Give me a call.
                  Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                  Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                  Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

I got called out at 0530 this morning,, still here I will call when I get off!

Thanks
                    Smokin_Cache
                    Check out my last tank

Comment

Still at work!!!! So much for getting anything do today. Will be at the NASCAR race next weekend!!! Hopefully I will be able to get something do this week.
                      Smokin_Cache
                      Check out my last tank

Comment

I use a drop test kit, more accurate. Petco uses the strips and when they tested my water, results were way off than what my drop kit gave me.  :(  Jeff Gordon didn't win today.

Comment

Ordered two Pentair Aquatics Quiet One 3000 780GPH pumps today. Went to Home Depot get PVC fittings. What a mess, I couldn't find anything. No logical order to shelf placement. Stuuf in wrong bin. I gave up and ended up just getting the foam for tank bottom and plywood for stand bottom.
                          Smokin_Cache
                          Check out my last tank

Comment

Working...
                          X