MARCH MEETING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MARCH MEETING

The March meeting will be held on 3/3 at 7PM. The plans for this meeting, along with the usual BS session will be to go into some DIY projects. Be sure to bring a 2 or 3 liter soda bottle to the meeting with you. We will be building a DIY CO2 reactor for those of you with planted tanks. If materials permit, that is if I can find enough sponges to go around, we will also be building some DIY sponge filters. Both projects combined will come in at a pocket book breaking expense of roughly $5, not to shabby for a filter and some happy plants huh? Next month I am looking at building a bubble filter. This is a cartridge style filter without any motor. Water is turned via airstone and lift tube into a filter chamber and returned via waterfall to the tank. I am currently reviewing my parts list in order to get the cost as low as possible. Once again, this one should come in around $5.
    Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Re: MARCH MEETING

I'll try to make it. I'm going to pass on the DIY though because I don't have a planted tank. ken

Comment

Hey Scott, feel free to submit a calendar event for this. I added a category for Lake Houston Aquarists. ken

Comment

Done, posted it up under LHA and meetings. If a CO2 reactor or a sponge filter isn't your thing, stay tuned. I plan on building a calcium reactor, a sand filter, a bubble filter, a simple CO2 bubble counter, a de-nitrifier, a canister filter, and ultimately a 200 gallon lab tank. Also along the way I hope to explore substrate jets, overflow filtration, standpipe construction, effective sump construction, possibly go into construction of in tank filters made to resemble a rock shelf from concrete and foam,and maybe even indoor ponds. The sky's the limit foy DIY. The great thing about having a social club like this is it gives us the opportunity to explore all these fun little projects that would otherwise go untried.
        Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Scott, can you send me directions from 59 and the beltway. thanks, ken

Comment

From 59 and BW8, go North on 59 to Humble, take the 1960 exit, go East on 1960 approx. 10 miles. Cross the lake, you are now in Huffman, go to the second red light, this is 2100, make a left. Go to the 3rd red light, there is an MS Quick Stop on the left, make the left,this is Havard, go to the first left again, this is Wildwood, go to the red and white house on the right. There will be plenty of lights lit so you wont be able to miss it.
            If you get lost, call me and I will talk you in, 281-851-3368.
            See you tonight, Scott

Comment

I had a good time Scott. Thanks for having the get together. Nice tanks! You should have some pretty good stuff around auction time.

Comment

Sorry I missed the meeting
                I would have liked to see you build a sponge filter

pulled this out of my research files but I have never actually made one.

Foam Filters remove particulate wastes from the aquarium. They also provide many locations for the growth of beneficial bacteria. The foam will gradually fill with trapped debris and require rinsing every two weeks. Re-use of the foam can help protect bacterial colonies and provide continual biological filtration. It is important that when you clean the foam that you do not kill the colony of bacteria through the use of detergents or very hot or cold water. A safe and easy way to clean the foam is to rinse it in a bucket of the water that you have just drained during your change routine.

Is there going to be a files section here to make articals and info available

filters should be made from premium quality Polyether- Polyurethane Reticulated Foams, approved for use in water applications for their non-toxicity

Beware of cheap alternatives made from Polyester-Polyurethane Reticulated Foams, which will quickly hydrolyse and breakdown in the presence of water, and will be Toxic towards Aquatic life.

"hydrophilic" sponges (sponges that never harden) can be purchased at Home Depot in the wall paper department or the paint department. Sometimes you can find them in the tile department.
                'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
                  ...Is there going to be a files section here to make articals and info available
                  Hi PhishPhreek, welcome to the Box! I can create a download section of the website. However, I prefer that you create a new post that says your topic and the word article. This way, everything remains searchable. Also, if the article isn't yours, you can always upload the document via the file "Add an Attachment" section available toward the bottom of the screen when you are posting. In addition, if you find an article on the internet, you can always post a link to the article.

Comment

Working...
                  X