This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convict Cichlids

I've got several convict cichlids for whom I'd love to find good homes.  They're very prolific.
    tony@theturtleranch.com
    http://www.theturtleranch.com
    In my day the world was flat and it stood on the back of a gian tortoise.

Re: Convict Cichlids

I really enjoyed your website. Its important to have fun in life and I can see you have it all figured out. A friend promised me a deal on some Melanochromis auratus so I am going to have to pass on the convicts.

max

Comment

i just barely finish setting up my fish tank. Was wondering if i can get some convicts from you. and are u selling them or giving them away?

Comment

If you want convicts, I can hook you up. I raise them as feeders for my africans, so I have plenty to pass along, no cost. Also if you want them, have some green terror fry as well.
        Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

I would love to have a few green terror fry
          I have been keeping my son's favorite (green terror) while he is in Canada working on the pipe lines and I lost him in my recent move.
          'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
          He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

which africans scott , do you feed convicts?

Comment

Well, lets see, the list is rather long actually. Yellow Labs and Zebras get newly hatched fry every other day until they reach 1" or until I run out of fry with yolk sacks, Electric Blues get 3-4 week fry to ripen for spawning, Livingstoni get 1-2 month fry also to bring to spawn. All other africans get 1-3 week fry to condition. When feeding fry to the fish they get on avg 3-4 fry per on a weekly to monthly basis depending on the breed. I feed both convict fry and green terror fry as both species generate huge ammounts of offspring. More important than the nutritional value in the conditioning is the behavior it elicits in the fish. Once fed the live food they will spawn within the next 48 hours, its like flipping a switch. The Lab and Zebra fry are fed on newly hatched fry for the nutritional value alone. Newly hatched fry still have the yolk sacks attached and are perfect for a jumpstart for these guys.
              With Africans you want to be carefull with live foods and especially worms as most of the Malawi species in particular being succeptable to bloat. With the fry as the live food, only the piscean breeds will actively seek them out as a food source. The drawback of course is that it will trigger aggressive behavior in some of your fish and shouldn't be fed if you have timid fish in the tank or if you are hoping for a few survivors from a holding female.
              In short, for all but the Labs and Zebras, live food is more of a treat to excite a desired behavior than anything else. Personally, I only feed live foods to the fish I have in my holding tanks. The ones I have in my community tanks never see feeders unless some wayward female dumps a load that I failed to cull.
              Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

I hope all that makes sense. trying to think and type coherently while juggling the phone is a bit tough.

Comment

Hey Scott could I feed these cichlids to my guppies? I can remember times that would have been fun to talk about.

max

Comment

man scott you sure know alot. but yea hook it up with some green terror and convicts. dude i wish i knew as much as u do. you got a shop or something or is it just a hobby?

Comment

Working...
                    X