Reverse light cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse light cycle

Alright, so I had to replace my old skimmer. At the same time I would like to completely clean my sump and ditch the refugium aspect of it. I have fully established biopellets and no form of macro algae survives in the sump, so whats the point? Now, I want to go with a clean equipment look in the sump, algae free, no sand etc etc. Do I still need to have a reverse light cycle? That will cause algae in the sump too right? Will it affect the tank health?

If you're not growing any macro down there you have no need for a light at all. The reason you do the reverse light cycle is so the macro is photosynthesizing while the display is in darkness so you get less pH swing and less alk swing. You can keep the light so you can see what you are doing down there, but you don't need the light cycle any more.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Comment

So with no macro at all, and display light on regular timers, there won't be any ph/alk swings?

Comment

There will be a small swing, but if you can't grow macro there is very little you can do! Don't worry, I'm in the same boat, it's not a tank destroying problem!

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Comment

What do you intend to have in your sump ??

Comment

Just reorganize everything that's down there already. So Big ole skimmer, for a 40g breeder (NAC-6, upgraded to the new pump), Bio pellet reactor, empty reactor for if I ever need gfo or carbon. Heater, return pump. I'm looking at UV sterilizers now too. Biopellets are mean little buggars, takes a while to get them going but phosphates and nitrates stand no chance

Comment

What pump did you upgrade too. I have a nac 6 but the impellar busted. How much was it? Might just get upgraded pump instead of buying impellar.

Comment

The NAC series was recalled back in march because of the pumps. Pumps were overheating causing the impellers to warp/crack/rust. This pump is what is now in the NAC series

Comment

Originally posted by semper View Post
                  What pump did you upgrade too. I have a nac 6 but the impellar busted. How much was it? Might just get upgraded pump instead of buying impellar.
                  Go with the nac7 impeller pump Omar, it works much better and it's Needlewheel.
                  Last edited by mgarrido; 08-15-2013, 11:46 PM.

Comment

So I got the upgrade kit in, sure enough, it all fits except the venturi part. The hole isn't big enough for it. After digging around on google, holes before 2011 were smaller than the new holes. So now I need to find someone I trust with a dremmel to make hole bigger

Comment

Well, 4 hours of hand sanding later, I got the hole big enough for the new venturi. This pump is SILENT.

Before (with jacked up impeller)

After (with new rock pump upgrade)

Comment

Working...
                      X