Cichlid pond in Conroe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cichlid pond in Conroe

Hi I'm new to the Houston Area and new to the Forum.

Moved here from Colorado and eventually want to start a pond in our yard in Conroe. My ideal would be to stock it with cichlids. Rough plans i have involve an approx 2000 gallon pond with a 'natural' filtration system of a waterfall with a swamp area. The pond will be probably around 3 feet deep max.

Are cichlids an option in the Conroe area? I mean, if i harvest a few Texas Cichlids from local lakes, would they survive the winter? Has/is anyone done/doing this? If so, with what species of Cichlid?

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forums, I just touched down in the Conroe area too recently.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by s9601694 View Post
      Hi I'm new to the Houston Area and new to the Forum.

Moved here from Colorado and eventually want to start a pond in our yard in Conroe. My ideal would be to stock it with cichlids. Rough plans i have involve an approx 2000 gallon pond with a 'natural' filtration system of a waterfall with a swamp area. The pond will be probably around 3 feet deep max.

Are cichlids an option in the Conroe area? I mean, if i harvest a few Texas Cichlids from local lakes, would they survive the winter? Has/is anyone done/doing this? If so, with what species of Cichlid?

Thanks!!
      What's up man! Welcome to HTX and HFB.

As long as you keep native species, you should have no problem keeping that pond going all year round. In addition to Texas Cichlids, you could also have blue gills, sunfish, etc. All very beautiful fish.
      http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
        What's up man! Welcome to HTX and HFB.

As long as you keep native species, you should have no problem keeping that pond going all year round. In addition to Texas Cichlids, you could also have blue gills, sunfish, etc. All very beautiful fish.
        Sweet, thanks!

Can i harvest these somewhere? (is that allowed?)

Comment

I'm not sure about the details exactly, but I believe you can use a net (maybe not a cast net) to catch them out of local bayous and ponds. Somebody with more knowledge about this will answer better than I did.
          http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Yep, cast net, dip net, fish cage, hook. It really doesnt matter with those as long as its not a "Sport" Fish. (Bass, etc.)

200 - African cichlids
            72 - Salty Bow Front
            33 Cube - community
            10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

Originally posted by BrAin View Post
              Yep, cast net, dip net, fish cage, hook. It really doesnt matter with those as long as its not a "Sport" Fish. (Bass, etc.)
              Do you know any places where i might be able to catch some?

Comment

Depends on what your looking for. The Texas are slightly harder to find but all the others are easy to find. Check every ditch, pond, and bayou. Any place that holds water for a couple months will do.

200 - African cichlids
                72 - Salty Bow Front
                33 Cube - community
                10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

Text me I have a lot of fry to give you. 2818575224

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Star Flowerhorns View Post
                    Text me I have a lot of fry to give you. 2818575224
                    :( we move into our house in December.. Still being built! Let me know of any future batches?!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X