BioCube 29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioCube 29

So I am very new to the Houston area. I just moved here from Atlanta where I have a 29 setup and has been running for a while. It is pretty heavily stocked with corals and a few fish and I missed it so much I decided I would set one up here in Houston to pass the time since I am on contract here and could only be here for a year maybe two.

Before I even found a place to live I scouted every fish store in the Houston market. When I say every I even went into some real seedy places that I did not even thought they sold fish. I finally got water in the tank and I am starting the cycle but I am to impatient. I purchased some small crabs and will be adding them to the tank this weekend.

My question for everyone on this build thread is BB or not. If I choose to go bare then what would be the best option to line the bottom of the glass to help "protect" the glass.

Lighting.. I plan on ditching the stock CF lights on the cube and I am going to purchase the new AI hydra. I have a SOL Blue mounted in my tank in Atlanta that I fitted into the hood leaving it looking stock. I would like to get the director that AI is coming out with soon to control the lighting,
    Also, I plan on doing one of two things. Removing the top completely or making the cube rimless. I have no problem modding this tank as I picked it up for a steal of a price.

Any suggestions on the bare bottom "starboard" or other alternatives and where could I pick it up locally? I would like to support local business as much as possible since I rely on them for answers to my questions.

Rocks I am picky about. I have Pukani in my tank in Atlanta and it was extremely difficult to find here in Houston in the local shops until I found someone on CL with a whole storage unit of it. Dry albeit I have bought some rubble to get the tank going. All thoughts and ideas appreciated as I have no other form of entertainment other than my tank, and the internet right now.

So a nice little update. I went and met with Semper.. Super great guy and some of the most amazing tanks in anyone's home I have ever seen. Basically a little store inside his house. If anyone ever needs anything he is the place if you cannot or will not go to the LFS. I picked up some small frags to start out the tank and get everything up and going. Picked up some square grid and cut and fit to the tank. Since I did not get any feed back from anyone about where to get starboard I will take my chances with this.

Waiting on the light order because I cannot find anyone selling the new lights yet they are all pre-order only and the new controller for the lights is still in beta so that will be a few more weeks. I am not overly concerned with this yet because the BC lights are sufficient I feel to maintain corals but to get some better growth out of them I feel you need a little more power.

20130607_215731.jpg20130607_215835.jpg20130607_220000.jpg

Comment

Good start man. Can't wait to see it come together. And Omar is good people.
      http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Looks good +1 on omar hes got some really nice stuff when i cant find something for salt he usually has it

Comment

+1

*Sent from my little corner of the reef.*

Comment

Originally posted by Cobergas View Post
            So a nice little update. I went and met with Semper.. Super great guy and some of the most amazing tanks in anyone's home I have ever seen. Basically a little store inside his house. If anyone ever needs anything he is the place if you cannot or will not go to the LFS. I picked up some small frags to start out the tank and get everything up and going. Picked up some square grid and cut and fit to the tank. Since I did not get any feed back from anyone about where to get starboard I will take my chances with this.

Waiting on the light order because I cannot find anyone selling the new lights yet they are all pre-order only and the new controller for the lights is still in beta so that will be a few more weeks. I am not overly concerned with this yet because the BC lights are sufficient I feel to maintain corals but to get some better growth out of them I feel you need a little more power.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19885[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19886[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19887[/ATTACH]
            thanks for coming by Chris, glad I was able to help out, and happy that frags are doing well. let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. I will be fragging all hammers and frogspawn I have here in the next week or so. Keep me posted on the Hydra's and if you get impatient you know I have those cool par 38's. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by semper View Post
              thanks for coming by Chris, glad I was able to help out, and happy that frags are doing well. let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. I will be fragging all hammers and frogspawn I have here in the next week or so. Keep me posted on the Hydra's and if you get impatient you know I have those cool par 38's. LOL

Man here goes my next paycheck already out the door.. Your fragging the frog and hammers... Wonderful! Let me know what you come out with and I will of course grab some.

So I made some rounds today to a store that I had not visited yet. T & T which has mainly wonderful show pieces. I am mainly looking for pieces to grow out and make my own rather than purchase something readily made and huge. I then left there and since I was in the area stopped by City Pets. I picked up some more $5 frags and found some interesting things in what I call the forgotten about tank. The tank with the snails and mucho other things floating around under low light. I figure if they can survive in there then they can make it in my tank. I got what I call a fuzzy mushroom.

IMG_20130609_210012.jpg

Then just a few other pieces. I currently have a shroom garden with one button polyp on this little rack I made.

IMG_20130609_205941.jpgIMG_20130609_210005.jpg

The only mushroom that might have an issue is the white colored one. I hope it makes it. Omar this was the one you grabbed off the bottom of the tank and I thought was doing better until I was messing with my tank taking these pictures. It is no big deal maybe I just need to find it some shade.
              Last edited by Cobergas; 06-09-2013, 09:20 PM.

Comment

So many new additions to the tank. I cannot add enough thanks to Semper for the fine quality of corals he has in his house and his pretty good prices. I went to City Pets Friday and scavenged their $5 and $10 section for a few finds of some zoo's that look pretty nifty. Not something I had seen before, not the most colorful of the zoos but not to shabby. Then today made the long drive out to Semper's place and picked through his collection. Picked up a bi-color hammer, fuzzy shroom, and my first ricordia. Not to sure about the ricordias yet because they do not look as good under my current lighting but, I know under my lighting plan they will look amazing. My BC at home in Atlanta has the Sol Blue and ALL of my corals pop under that heavy actinic light.

20130607_220000.jpg20130615_213702.jpg20130615_213711.jpg20130615_213726.jpg20130615_213812.jpg20130615_213827.jpg

On my way back into town I decided to stop by Aquarium world. I was not expecting to pick anything up but they had a special on these flaming lips scallops. I talked with one of the many ladies that work there and picked her brain for a bit and was informed that I should have no issue with this peaceful addition. For $4.50 for the clam I did not think I could go wrong. I picked those up and a few more snails. Got my chemicals and headed home. The tank is a little cloudy right now and I am not sure why. Tomorrow water change and order a new skimmer since the one I bought on Ebay apparently is not going to show up. Looking to get the Hydor Slim nano instead of the Tunze 9002. I am really torn between the two. Both have good reviews and come in close to the same price range.

I really want to ditch my stock lights like right now but I need to be more patient for AI to come out with the new controller system for the new light they have out. I am really excited about the new light and the new control factor that will be coming out sometime soon. As if anyone in the reefing hobby has an issue with control..

Anyone out there have anything they are giving away at the moment?? I will be in the market for another tank soon.. Apparently I have a slow leak on my cube because I am finding creep in spots that I should not be...

Comment

Thanks for stopping by again Chris. I forgot to give you the green replacement mushroom. Next time for sure.

Comment

I know there will be a next time for sure. I just call that shroom the rare white find..

Comment

Looking good!
                      Currently working on:
                      `6.6 Gallon Low-tech Planted
                      `36 Gallon bowfront with DIY background

Comment

Working...
                      X