Congo Puffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congo Puffer

So i'd like to get a congo puffer but i'm not very sure on their tank size. I've heard from 20's to 55's. I've been asking around and people have said that a 20g high is fine because they sit there 95% in the sand. I know that is pushing it and i was wondering if you guys could help me get a good idea on what size tank it would need. And i would be starting it out in the 20g high so what size would i need to move it out? thanks

It can stay in a 20g high. They get to a considerable size, but don't get that big. Just make sure your filter can handle their bioload.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

yeah i was gonna hook up an eheim 2217 or is that overdoing it?

Comment

2217 is fine. They can handle it. Sunny had an AC110 on his when he had a congo.

Comment

You can't never over do it!
          175 tropheus Chaitika
          125 tropheus Ujiji
          90 tropheus Nkonde

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
            2217 is fine. They can handle it. Sunny had an AC110 on his when he had a congo.
            +3 on overfiltration. Puffers are all Nitrate factories and the larger the tank + larger filtration = less frequent water changes on your behalf. Congos are very nice looking lurkers and glad to see more puffer keepers. Feel free to ask more questions, they can be tough but are very worth the extra time and work.
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
            Desiderius Erasmus
            GHAC President

Comment

(Thanks for answering my questions guys i really appreciate it) so i've heard about trimming puffers teeth would that be an issue with a congo puffer?

Comment

It is something to consider a possibility, though their family generally tend to not suffer from overgrown teeth. At least they are not one of the notorious species that are regarded as a common issue. Harder and varied foods will assist in keeping them in check. Snails, shrimp with shell on, and live crawfish all help in that regard. Trimming is not impossible, but it does help to have someone show you how the first time. There are lots of keepers nearby that would be willing to offer some help and guidance should you find it needed.
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

how would i know if they needed to be trimmed? (srry for the noob questions)

Comment

The teeth would be noticeably long and the puffer would have a hard time getting anything in its mouth due to the teeth

Comment

+1 if they are over grown you will see it. Looks like buggs bunny swimmin in your tank.
                      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
                        +1 if they are over grown you will see it. Looks like buggs bunny swimmin in your tank.
                        lol kk also i've heard that feeding for them changes when they get bigger and that as they get bigger don't feed them as often. I've also heard that if you feed them too much they will get constipated. So how can i know that i've fed them enough? and what is a time period for when i should feed the (example 1" twice a day 2" once a day etc...,)

Comment

Usually once every couple of days is fine
                          Desiderius Erasmus
                          GHAC President

Comment

even if they are like 1/2"?

Comment

Should be fine. With piscavores, I like to give them a a day or two between feedings to avoid constipation. You can also feed daily, but in smaller portions. It's up to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X