So my wife wants a puffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my wife wants a puffer

My wife saw a hairy puffer in person the other day and now she wants one. Just a couple of quick questions. What size tank would one require for a species tank and are there any other freshwater puffers around the same size that I should consider instead. Thanks for any and all help!
    65G African Tank (1 Ropefish, 1 Senegal Bichir, 3 Spotted Climbing Pearch, 2 Black Calvus "Zebra", 1 Featherfin Cat, African Knife, 2 Upside down Cats and an African Butterfly Fish.

30G "The Mudhole" 3 African Mudskippers (Periophthalmus barbarus)

20G 4 Longfin Zebra Danio, 2 Julii Cory, 2 Bolivian Ram, 1 Stripped Raphael and 3 Glass Cats.

Puffers are quite a wide and diverse family with many different branches. Many are truly freshwater, while other are brackish. What size tank do you have, tankmates, water change schedule? Answering those will help in assisting you for species choice/recomendations.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

With a Hairy puffer the max out at 5", but are lurkers (with Congos, Arrowheads, and Dragon) so they only usually require about 30 gallons for a solitary specimen. They can be attempted in groups, but the tank should be spacious enough for them all. Sand is their preferred substrate. Water Quality is an issue, overfilter your tank. Watch your numbers. Nitrates never should go beyond 30ppm. Anything higher can cause discomfort and usually noticable skin discoloration. Feed frozen shrimp and crawfish, thaw in a cup of aquarium water with vita-chem and granulated garlic. Most are all wild caught, assume all new puffers have IP (Internal Parasites) and treat accordingly.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

Here's a breakdown of all the freshwater puffers and requirements, tank size, etc.

Karen

Comment

Our Fig8's are lite brackesh but they take freshwater very well. They are much more sociable then other puffers. We have 3 in a 40g. Their tank mates are 2 BNP. and about 40 endler fry. I put the endlers in as food but they will not eat them. they grow up started breeding. They run up on the tiny fry and stop but a shrimp or snail is dead meat...
          They are My wifes fish but they are cool...
          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Thanks everyone! Settled on a Congo! Hes or she is fat and eating good! Pics soon.
            65G African Tank (1 Ropefish, 1 Senegal Bichir, 3 Spotted Climbing Pearch, 2 Black Calvus "Zebra", 1 Featherfin Cat, African Knife, 2 Upside down Cats and an African Butterfly Fish.

20G 4 Longfin Zebra Danio, 2 Julii Cory, 2 Bolivian Ram, 1 Stripped Raphael and 3 Glass Cats.

Comment

Awesome, Sunny had one awhile back! Very cool hunter/lurker. What color variant did you get?
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

So here are a few pics of the little guy. I am afraid though after looking at him today that he may have ich. You can see some white looking spots on his fins and body in a couple of the pics. Luckily, he is eating like a horse though. Has eaten probably 6 shiners since lastnight.
                Attached Files

Comment

If anything increase the the temp and dose some meds at half strength, should be fine. I have had quite a few puffers get through ich with that formula
                  Desiderius Erasmus
                  GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                    If anything increase the the temp and dose some meds at half strength, should be fine. I have had quite a few puffers get through ich with that formula
                    Yep I turned up the temp earlier today, but what kind of meds do you recommend?

Comment

you can use salt or any ich meds. But if you use meds use at half strength. Puffer don't have scales.
                      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Agreed with Troy, most ich meds all work by killing the reproductive cycle when they leave the host. Higher temps quicken the cycle time. You should be fine once you get the meds in the tank.
                        Desiderius Erasmus
                        GHAC President

Comment

Great looking fish though and it looks quite happy!
                          Desiderius Erasmus
                          GHAC President

Comment

Nice choice! Digging the Congo puffer. Always liked them.

Comment

Just curious, any updates on the lil guy/gal? How's it doing?
                              "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                              X